Electrician Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We need to replace about 20 lead acid batteries (of about 40 in the entire facility) in exit and emergency light units at a non profit venue. After the power was out for 4 days here due to Hurricane Sandy many of these batteries failed to recharge. I believe this would satisfy FEMA's requirements of being a direct result of the hurricane in order to apply for funding for replacement. I know there will be a lot of red tape involved....Does anyone have any knowledge to share regarding this issue?

·
Licensed Journeyman
5,880 Posts
If I had direct knowledge of how to get money outa FEMA I dang sure wouldn't be an electrician. I would be working in some fancy office selling papers to the state.

Reactions: Zog

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
They need to be replaced every three years. Sometimes you can get new signs for the price of new batteries.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They need to be replaced every three years. Sometimes you can get new signs for the price of new batteries.
Maybe not whole units that cheap, but certainly comparable when you add in labor for possible bulb changing and possible circuit board problems

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Good luck

1. Theyll say the were out dated and needed replacement before the incident.

2. There is a min dollar amnt

3 not worth time or effort to apply for a couple batteries!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good luck

1. Theyll say the were out dated and needed replacement before the incident.

2. There is a min dollar amnt

3 not worth time or effort to apply for a couple batteries!
I agree. Needed the "backup" from you guys

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They should of been checked once a year for AH left in the battery... were you doing this?
This is a new location for us. It looks like the previous work was done by a series of different maintenance personnel.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Do you have that in writing from someone?
We have been testing and maintaining many exits and ebus for lots of our healthcare customers (stand alone dr.s offices, etc), and we track the repairs and replacements and actually perform the 1.5 hour annual test.
About 90% of the fixtures fail the 1.5 hour test before the batteries are 4 years old.

·
Scotchkote Installer
30,669 Posts

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
We have been testing and maintaining many exits and ebus for lots of our healthcare customers (stand alone dr.s offices, etc), and we track the repairs and replacements and actually perform the 1.5 hour annual test.
About 90% of the fixtures fail the 1.5 hour test before the batteries are 4 years old.

It is encouraging to see someone who has real world data to back up their comments for a change. However, if I tried to sell new batteries every 3 years to all of my customers without documentation from the manufacturer, half of them would think I was taking advantage of them, or flat out lying. The other half would say " Ok, you are the expert here. Just send us the bill when you are finished". :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
It is encouraging to see someone who has real world data to back up their comments for a change. However, if I tried to sell new batteries every 3 years to all of my customers without documentation from the manufacturer, half of them would think I was taking advantage of them, or flat out lying. The other half would say " Ok, you are the expert here. Just send us the bill when you are finished". :thumbup:
Fortunately we work for quite a few healthcare maintenance electricians/ managers that are pretty smart.
We respect their opinions and they respect our decisions. It is also much easier to talk with somebody that understands more than just counting beans.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Thanks for this information. Great talking points for my client.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts