Electrician Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for a system to put at my house, Ive installed a few for customers, some of them were nicer than others, but they have provided them every time and i didnt really pay attention to the brands/ specs when i was doing them. I definitely dont want wireless cameras and i would prefer them to be able to run on Cat5 rather than those annoying premade cables.. Also would be nice to have the option to use more than one type of camera with the same system, like one or 2 PTZ ones for instance, and I want to have at least an 8 camera receiver. As far as cost Im trying to keep it under $1k.:thumbup:

·
Registered
218 Posts
+1 for this swan system. Ive installed a few for customers and the cameras are very clear and 2TB is a ton of storage. And the wiring is just your standard Cat5e, cameras are power over ethernet.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cool ill look into it closer. i really dont like the pre made cables theyre a royal pain for a million reasons. it doesnt have to be a top of the line system, but i do want something a little better than the ones that have no real options beyond what comes in the kit

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hippie said:
cool ill look into it closer. i really dont like the pre made cables theyre a royal pain for a million reasons. it doesnt have to be a top of the line system, but i do want something a little better than the ones that have no real options beyond what comes in the kit
Then don't go with Swann at all. If you aren't going to go high end, ok. But at least get a SH house brand. Any of those are better than what you buy at Costco. Also, you said $1000. Is that retail or do you have a wholesale account?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Wired4Life10 said:
Then don't go with Swann at all. If you aren't going to go high end, ok. But at least get a SH house brand. Any of those are better than what you buy at Costco. Also, you said $1000. Is that retail or do you have a wholesale account?
Get a honeywell!!! Lol Speco is ok, digital watchdog is good. Pelco or samsung, sony, dedicated micros, all good stuff don't get something anyone can buy from a store

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i do have a supply house account but i havent actually looked into what they carry since i really dont know what im looking for. i would definitely prefer to stay away from the homeowner packages. anything from my SH would have to be ordered, their main branch is 2 hrs away so i havent been up there recently they dont carry more than basics at my location.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good value

Not exactly what you are looking for, but in budget. I know I am going to get hung out to dry for this suggestion, but I have done my research. When this goes on sale I will be ordering one to try out.
http://www.costco.ca/Swann™-8-Chann...and-4-1080p-HD-Cameras.product.100042455.html
I really can't believe that you would be able to beat this value. Vicon sells a very nice version of this NVR with POE switch built in for about $1100.00 but no cameras. A low end IP camera from a decent manufacturer is going to be $200. and up and I do mean low end!
The link above gives an NVR and 4 cameras for around $1000. That's going to be hard to beat. That being said support for this product is probably very poor. It probably does not use server rated drives. Image quality is probably not 1080p as claimed and camera compatibility/replacement is probably going to be an issue in the future. For an inexpensive NVR I doubt you are going to beat this value. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really can't believe that you would be able to beat this value. Vicon sells a very nice version of this NVR with POE switch built in for about $1100.00 but no cameras. A low end IP camera from a decent manufacturer is going to be $200. and up and I do mean low end!
The link above gives an NVR and 4 cameras for around $1000. That's going to be hard to beat. That being said support for this product is probably very poor. It probably does not use server rated drives. Image quality is probably not 1080p as claimed and camera compatibility/replacement is probably going to be an issue in the future. For an inexpensive NVR I doubt you are going to beat this value. :thumbup:
one of the important things for me is to have cameras that can be replaced or upgraded and not part of an all in one package, and to have options to change things around in the future

·
Sideways Sparky
1,512 Posts
one of the important things for me is to have cameras that can be replaced or upgraded and not part of an all in one package, and to have options to change things around in the future
You can do that with this NVR. Why wouldn't you be able to?

It has an incredible recording capability. Most systems cannot record in high quality over 50% of their # of cameras.

This is 4 IP cameras and an NVR that can handle them all at full D1 recording for $1000.

Who gives a flying **** if anyone can buy it. Big box usually undercuts wholesaler pricing these days anyway. And from what I read on here most of you shop at Depot.

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,991 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Just a heads up.. Those aren't true IP cameras usually. They also aren't true PoE due to that. That just utilize cat5e for the cable type. Don't think you are going to find a network camera to replace one later down the road.

·
Sideways Sparky
1,512 Posts
Just a heads up.. Those aren't true IP cameras usually. They also aren't true PoE due to that. That just utilize cat5e for the cable type. Don't think you are going to find a network camera to replace one later down the road.
That would be a game changer. Their tech support has been receptive to my questions in the past, so maybe I will ask them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree with this statement. There is no mention of Onvif so it makes me suspicious that when these hi end cameras die :whistling2:that a suitable open source replacement would be available. I think given that manufacturers like Pelco have a hard enough time making their NVR software Onvif compatible I would find it remarkable if this product succeeded where they failed. If $1000. is your budget then you would be better off spending on a DVR rather than an NVR. At least the cameras will be compatible no matter what. An NVR at this price point; buyer beware!:eek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts