Electrician Talk banner

Recruiter

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  dawgs 
#1 ·
Hello,

I've been lurking here for awhile and figured I should finally register a screen name in the hopes of recruiting good electricians in MA/NY/CT/MD/CA. I'd be happy to connect people directly to hiring managers. No news there: you're in demand.

Other then that, I'm just here to continue to learn more about what motivates people to switch careers, because I know it isn't always about the money (although that helps).

Other then that, I'm a lifelong Browns fan living in Ohio. I'm not quite sure how I ended up in recruiting but I am glad to be doing it. I certainly prefer recruiting electricians and other skilled trades versus sales roles or IT. I think that has to do with my own background and upbringing.

Anyway, have a good one!
-Mike

#2 ·
What's up man.

Let me ask you this: It seems like the larger solar companies are hiring their guys through a recruiter (laborers, electricians, solar installers..) and bring the guys on in large waves, but are any companies out there using still using subs instead, or is this the way things are done in the solar industry?

I ask this because I would very much like to get involved in solar projects, but I am not looking to for employment with somebody else. I kinda like being self employed.

#3 ·
There still seems to be plenty of opportunities for subcontracting work in solar. I think MA alone has over 300 or so solar companies? It has been awhile since I've looked. You should target small/mid-size outfits. There are plenty of electricians posting on Craigslist for solar.

There are some interesting discussions about this on reddit (reddit.com/r/solar and reddit.com/r/electrician). There seems to be a little cottage industry out west because of a recent farming boom (read: marijuana).

The company I recruit for was recently acquired by a larger company, and now we're hiring exclusively for full-time positions. C'est la vie. There's some advantages to hiring employees instead of subbing it out: we can guarantee quality of work and it reduces liability (making sure people have a clean background when sending them to a private residence).

Recruiters are used because nobody else has the time. So, one month we're scrambling for electricians, installers, project leaders, and designers. The next month? Sales, sales, sales. It's tough to say what's driving what, but it is booming.

#5 ·
Solar farms are booming right now in NC. These companies are hiring guys by the dozens. Tons of work, tons of OT.

But on the residential and small commercial scale, it's almost non existent. There's a few companies around, but they are scattered around the state. Many are licensed electricians as well, that seems to be the trend.

So when is the residential market going to blow up like it is in other states? What's the hold up, tax breaks?

This appears to be a great market to be in, but for some reason, not where I live.

#7 ·
solar_recruiter said:
Hello, I've been lurking here for awhile and figured I should finally register a screen name in the hopes of recruiting good electricians in MA/NY/CT/MD/CA. I'd be happy to connect people directly to hiring managers. No news there: you're in demand. Other then that, I'm just here to continue to learn more about what motivates people to switch careers, because I know it isn't always about the money (although that helps). Other then that, I'm a lifelong Browns fan living in Ohio. I'm not quite sure how I ended up in recruiting but I am glad to be doing it. I certainly prefer recruiting electricians and other skilled trades versus sales roles or IT. I think that has to do with my own background and upbringing. Anyway, have a good one! -Mike
Wow. A Browns fan. You must be a glutton for punishment & used to failure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.