Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
YES! :thumbup:.....and breakers too. Good for cheap repairs when supplies are limited and you gotta make it happen.

·
Senior Moment
7,880 Posts
Many years ago we ran out of indicator fuses in an Air Force Air Traffic Control facility and I took apart good conventional fuses and soldered in the "recycled" fuse wire into the blown indicator fuse bodies. The indicator fuses had a spring and when the fuse blew it would pop out a plunger that would close a contact to light a lamp.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Many years ago we ran out of indicator fuses in an Air Force Air Traffic Control facility and I took apart good conventional fuses and soldered in the "recycled" fuse wire into the blown indicator fuse bodies. The indicator fuses had a spring and when the fuse blew it would pop out a plunger that would close a contact to light a lamp.
Something like this?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Fuses...no.

Batteries, ballasts, light bulbs, copper, steel, aluminum, paper, computers... yes.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Are we recycling or reusing there's a difference

·
Chairman of the Bored
9,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fuses...no.

Batteries, ballasts, light bulbs, copper, steel, aluminum, paper, computers... yes.
Why not fuses? Has the tech changed in 40 years? Does it wear out after 40 years? Breakers I am inclined to say "replace at 40", but not fuses.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
If they haven't been exposed to ridiculous temps I wouldnt even think twice about using them. In fact I can't even say whether or not extreme temps would affect the fuse negatively

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Are we recycling or reusing there's a difference
Why not fuses? Has the tech changed in 40 years? Does it wear out after 40 years? Breakers I am inclined to say "replace at 40", but not fuses.
Um... not sure we're all on the same page; the original question was about recycling fuses. Apparently Cooper Bussmann does have a recycling program; now I'm curious about our usage and might mention it to our environmental/safety guy.

My last post was talking about recycling blown fuses. If we decommission old equipment we will reuse anything that's worth saving, including good fuses; however, there are some fuses that are so old we no longer stock and they will get tossed.

Reactions: BuzzKill

·
Chairman of the Bored
9,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Zog is on the forum, he'll have some info, or brian or md...

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
No problem.

A couple metals I forgot to mention... we also have recycling bins for carbide, bronze, brass and EDM wire.

Last year we actually started composting at one of our facilities; we are planning on implementing that at another plant this year.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts