Electrician Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm Australian tradesman, beginning to apply for the Red Seal test. I was unaware there was a practical component to the test up until now.

I was an electrician for about 5-6 years in Australia, but havernt worked in Canada yet, I am a bit nervous as to what is actually examined? Will I know enough by Australian standards to pass the Red Seal? I've read a few outlines on what is tested, but is there something a little more in depth? Or at least someone who recently sat through the exam and can tell me what I will roughly need to know?

Cheers!!!

·
Registered
826 Posts
moorhs said:
Hey all, I'm Australian tradesman, beginning to apply for the Red Seal test. I was unaware there was a practical component to the test up until now. I was an electrician for about 5-6 years in Australia, but havernt worked in Canada yet, I am a bit nervous as to what is actually examined? Will I know enough by Australian standards to pass the Red Seal? I've read a few outlines on what is tested, but is there something a little more in depth? Or at least someone who recently sat through the exam and can tell me what I will roughly need to know? Cheers!!!
The vast majority of the interprovincial exam is code related. There are examples of wiring methods, crane signaling, high voltage equipment testing and other crazy stuff to throw a curveball at you. As long as you have good working knowledge of the CEC, you will be fine.

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
I have never seen or heard tell of a practical part to that exam. Its 100 questions....lots of code, safety questions, theory and a fair amount of motortheory and motor control theory. If you are getting ready for that Red Seal....hit the books hard and eat, sleep, drive, shower, poop and shave with that CEC in your hands.

Well............maybe not drive.:laughing:

Reactions: jza

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hahaha ill keep that in mind hopefully it sinks in fast! is the CSA the only place online to get an updated copy of the rules? Any idea on price?

Not at the moment no, im looking for a temp job while I wait for my application to get processed

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
What city? I'm thinking Alberta for Province?

Google CEC 12. but a course might be in the works for you. You might not even qualify as a 1st. year in Canada.??

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ill check it out, cheers. I've done about 6 years of electrical work, over 10,000 hours so im thinking I should be okay on that front, its just the differences in wiring from rule books I will have to re learn?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I used the online test from CSA. Not bad they break it down into 5 sections, which is nice. Best bit of advice eat and sleep the code book, search online for practice tests and give yourself time to study. Being from a different country and taking that test makes it's twice as hard.

·
Registered
565 Posts
If you are getting ready for that Red Seal....hit the books hard and eat, sleep, drive, shower, poop and shave with that CEC in your hands.

If I poop at work and read the CEC at the same time should I get paid for it, or should it still be no pay for pooping at work.

Now I will wait for the poop to start flying on this board again:whistling2:

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
If I poop at work and read the CEC at the same time should I get paid for it, or should it still be no pay for pooping at work.

Now I will wait for the poop to start flying on this board again:whistling2:

You should do all your reading and pooping on your own time......just ask Cletis.:thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.