Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Estwing magic
27,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is it site policy to send home owner questions to the DIY site where they can get really stupid advice? I know, it's to send traffic to a sister site but...

In the interests of safety, the advice should be to hire a qualified electrical contractor. And, if you want to carry this one step further, why not match zip code or postal code to qualified contractors who participate on this forum and turn it into a referral? I'm sure guys here would kick a finder's fee back to the site owners if it resulted in business.

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
Why is it site policy to send home owner questions to the DIY site where they can get really stupid advice? I know, it's to send traffic to a sister site but...

In the interests of safety, the advice should be to hire a qualified electrical contractor. And, if you want to carry this one step further, why not match zip code or postal code to qualified contractors who participate on this forum and turn it into a referral? I'm sure guys here would kick a finder's fee back to the site owners if it resulted in business.

Tell you what, you field their questions. I deal with enough stupid homeowner questions throughout the week just bidding work.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
And, if you want to carry this one step further, why not match zip code or postal code to qualified contractors who participate on this forum and turn it into a referral? I'm sure guys here would kick a finder's fee back to the site owners if it resulted in business.
I wonder if lead generation ever occurred to them?

~CS~

·
Estwing magic
27,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Okay, I am going to try this one more time and then leave it for you hounds to bay at.

There is another thread started here by a home owner. I didn't pay much attention but I think he is trying to feed a 150A sub from an ancient plug fuse panel. This is wrong. He needs a new panel and possibly a service change. He needs a qualified electrician.

It's a business opportunity for members of this site in his locale. Like the suddenly coherent and succinct chicken man asks, referring to the site owners, "I wonder if lead generation ever occurred to them?"

Carry on, hounds...

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Carry on, hounds...
humpin' the leg of opportunity....

Well it could be done a number of ways 99. I probably don't have to tell you (et all) any avenue should be a consideration in this economy.

ET could model after any lead generation co, why reinvent the wheel? There might be some level of vetting for participants, demographics would be a huge factor.....maybe a few software changes to allow for this site to make a % , FR, some sort of worth while profit....

I'd wager it'd eventually put ET on the internet electrician map, the downside being the flood of participants the mods would need to deal with

Maybe a chunk of the $ should go their way too?

Another avenue might be to take certain threads into a bid war. Think about that for a second, i don't believe it's been done in any public forum.

A DIY'er needing a serv upgrade, two/three local participant sparkies......

I can only imagine the wringing of hands & knashing of teeth echoing all the way up the food chain to Angie & CL....:thumbsup:

Drama sells!

~CS~

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
and hey.....i'll even supply the background muzak...:jester:

To all the hacks I've known before
Who travelled in and out my door
I'm glad they went along I dedicate this song

To all the hacks I once had hired
And may I say they should all be fired
ET just steals the show
For helping DIY's know,

~C(with apologies to Willy Nelson)S~

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
...It's a business opportunity for members of this site in his locale. Like the suddenly coherent and succinct chicken man asks, referring to the site owners, "I wonder if lead generation ever occurred to them?"....
All I can say to that is I don't know of anyone's business model that is profitable because they advise DIY homeowners.

From a personal perspective, I just don't like holding people's hands so I'm fine with no DIYers.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Why is it site policy to send home owner questions to the DIY site where they can get really stupid advice?
Yeah, that's rediculous and unnecessary, they can get really stupid advice here. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
The site ranks high for many electrical searches.
Maybe a "hire a pro" section? Paid to be there or Pay per click...searchable by zip.

Truth is most home owners who post here are not the types looking to pay for service. But it seems like it would be easy to monetize into a lead service.

Here comes all of our favorite lines...................

.."all ya gotta do ......."

·
Estwing magic
27,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My powers of communication are failing me.

I am not saying that we give out advice.

I am saying that there is potential in this website for qualified members to get work.

We don't chase service work but other members do. I am simply talking about lead generation through the site for those members.

This site was never designed to provide free advice to DIYers. I support that. I understand that. It's not what I'm talking about.

Find wall. Bang head repeatedly.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.