Electrician Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
Is it still around? If so, what can and can't you do regarding work.
Ok, you do not need to install AFCI circuit breakers for any new branch circuits as long as the "footprint" of the home isn't altered.

•New circuit for bedroom receptacles (not required)
•New circuit for living room window air conditioner (not required)
•New circuit for new room addition (required)

See here for more info: http://www.state.nj.us/dca/divisions/codes/index.html

·
Registered
386 Posts
Ok, you do not need to install AFCI circuit breakers for any new branch circuits as long as the "footprint" of the home isn't altered.

•New circuit for bedroom receptacles (not required)
•New circuit for living room window air conditioner (not required)
•New circuit for new room addition (required)

See here for more info: http://www.state.nj.us/dca/divisions/codes/index.html
Yes you do for all three NJ UCC 5:23-6.9 (a)26

·
Registered
867 Posts
Yes you can do 100a to 100a.

The rehabilitation code basically says as long as you are making the situation better, and not making it any worst.

Changing an old 100a for a new 100a falls under this.

I have seen new service panels in showers in Trenton with city stickers on them. Not reccomended but Legal under NJ rehab code.

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
Ok, all news to me. So what happens now if you have an old panel and they don't make AFCI circuit breakers?

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Magnettica said:
Ok, all news to me. So what happens now if you have an old panel and they don't make AFCI circuit breakers?
AFCI receptacle at first device , then protected downstream , or a panel upgrade that has AFCI breakers that fit it ? Who knows , it's jersey , lol ?

·
Mad Skills
5,803 Posts
...only if AFCI protection is available for the panel.....obviously, fuses and FPE are not going to have AFCI protection originating at the panel.

Is there an AFCI recept. on the market yet?

·
Mad Skills
5,803 Posts
There is a document titled:
Rules that make sense - NJ's Rehabilitation Subcode
[or very close to that] that really explains the logic behind the rehab code.
Having an understanding of the logic behind will help you to understand it....and that EI who bust your chops.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Celtic said:
There is a document titled:
Rules that make sense - NJ's Rehabilitation Subcode
[or very close to that] that really explains the logic behind the rehab code.
Having an understanding of the logic behind will help you to understand it....and that EI who bust your chops.
I'll accept close to that , but seriously doubt NJ ever penned any document with the phrase " makes sense " on it , lol ! Making sense and New Jersey are like trying to mix oil and water . My wife works for the state , believe me , your head would spin if you knew half of what goes on .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.