Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Homer to Jebus
Electron Flow Consultant
829 Posts
70's vintage be my guess from the looks of it. Usually you can get the Eaton BR's to fit with or without the cutout.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
looking to swap out the (2) BR220's in there for a quad, BQC220220, BRDC220220 or the like.
Seems like quads exist that have the rejection feature, or common trip, but not both.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,710 Posts
My guess is that is a 24-32 panel or a 24-42 panel which means twins can go in much of the panel but usually they are toward the bottom if it is a 24-32 panel

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,710 Posts
I doubt those red twins are in there legally but I could be wrong

·
Homer to Jebus
Electron Flow Consultant
829 Posts
looking to swap out the (2) BR220's in there for a quad, BQC220220, BRDC220220 or the like.
Seems like quads exist that have the rejection feature, or common trip, but not both.
BR420

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,710 Posts
This one specs as "independent trip." I believe "common trip" is required, no?
In fact, I wonder when you'd EVER want a double-pole breaker that wasn't "common trip."
I think all dp breakers are common trip but 2 sp breakers with handle ties are not common trip and you would use that on a multiwire branch circuit.

Reactions: mikewillnot

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So the units like BR420 with built-in handle ties but independent trip are for mwbc's.
My application here is for a quad for (2) 2-pole circuits, 240-volt loads.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,710 Posts
So the units like BR420 with built-in handle ties but independent trip are for mwbc's.
My application here is for a quad for (2) 2-pole circuits, 240-volt loads.
That would be 2- dp breakers taking up 2 spaces. Is that correct? If so then I believe those are factory built for common trip

Reactions: Almost Retired

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,710 Posts
This doesn't say common trip but says it is for 2 -240 v loads. It should say common trip on it somewhere

Bryant 20/20 Amp Quad Double Pole Twin Circuit Breaker BQ220220
The quad type circuit breaker is designed to create 4 circuits in 2 spaces. This allows for two 240 volt circuits.

This circuit breaker is compact and easy to install. Two pole circuit breaker features thermal magnetic molded case for extra protection. Circuit breaker has a current rating of 20/20 amps. It is a 2″ thick quadplex independent trip breaker.

Wire size: 14/4 AWG. Breaker is 2″ thick

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,710 Posts
Okay I found the catalog

Bryant Catalog

page 90

Not all quads are common trip. You need BQC220220 for a 20 amp quad (2 dp breakers with common trip)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts