Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always known tandem breakers to fit in panels with the notches to allow them to fit. Has anybody ever seen a new tandem breaker without the rejection tab in it. I hadn't until yesterday. I grabbed a couple Siemens QT 20/20 breakers out if my truck stock.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not going to say I never removed a rejection tab from a tandem to install it in a panel. These tandems never had them to begin with. I have never seen this before. I thought all tandems had them. These breakers are new and un molested.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FrunkSlammer said:
I feel like this is a dumb question, but I can't be the only one wondering.. what and where is the rejection tab?
It blocks half of the clamping slot in the back of the breaker so it will only fit in the sections of buss with the notches in it. In a 16/24 panel for instance they will only fit in the bottom 4 spaces in the panel. I'll post a pic of one when I get home.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FrunkSlammer said:
I haven't been around that much or long, but I've never seen a rejection tab before. Wonder if it's a Canadian thing? Because that breaker you posted was CSA'd.
I have lived in Indiana my entire life. I'm not sure that I would have a Canadian only breaker in my stock. But I do end up with Canadian quarters in my pocket every now and then.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
I don't mean a Canadian only breaker, I just mean I've not come across the 16/24 siemens like you mentioned. Seems like our Siemens are 2/4, 4/8, 6/12, 8/16, 12/24, 32/64, 40/80...etc. No need for a rejection tab, the panel boards and loadcenters accept all tandems.

I could be totally wrong on this though.. that happens a lot. :laughing:

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FrunkSlammer said:
I don't mean a Canadian only breaker, I just mean I've not come across the 16/24 siemens like you mentioned. Seems like our Siemens are 2/4, 4/8, 6/12, 8/16, 12/24, 32/64, 40/80...etc. No need for a rejection tab, the panel boards and loadcenters accept all tandems. I could be totally wrong on this though.. that happens a lot. :laughing:
I live with 3 women, I've been told I was wrong a couple times myself.

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
I have seen several manufacturers make them without the clip.

The part number is slightly different and they cost a little more and they are not necessarily available everywhere. I've heard them referred to as "listed" breakers.

·
Registered
387 Posts
The 1965 NEC had a new requirement that panels and breakers had to have a feature that limited the number of circuits that could be supplied by the panel. These "circuit total limitation" - (CTL) panels and breakers listed for them have "rejection tabs" to prevent tandem breakers from being installed on buss push on contacts where they aren't supposed to be. Most manufacturers use a notched buss and a tab on the breaker contact slot for the purpose and GE uses a tab on the wire terminal side of the breaker along with a slot in the breaker mounting rail - breakers won't fit where there's not a notch.

There are tandem breakers available for replacements in pre-1965 panels that don't have the rejection tabs and will consequently fit on most buss push on contacts and are restricted for use in "non CTL" type panels where hopefully the listed number of circuits hasn't been exceeded.

I don't find many electricians who know this stuff and never a homeowner not in the trade who did. It looks like the only thing manufacturers have done to discourage the use of non CTL breakers in CTL panels is price

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
these have been around for as long as Ive been in the trade but when I was a young cub no one made me aware of them

the boss would have us use a dremel tool and remove the rejection clip from a standard tandem breaker

he was the same one that taught me wrong and would have me install both wires from a mwbc on the same tandem

ah.....the memories of being improperly trained

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.