Electrician Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents, I have a perfectly fine Bosch Brute Tough 18v cordless hammer drill that is not really all that old. Now I freely admit not using and cycling the batteries enough is the main issue here. This is my drill for home use and it just doesn't get used enough to keep these types of batteries fresh. I have a newer Ridgid Li-ion drill that is only a year or two old and it is good to go but I wonder at getting the Bosch back in action.

First I will tell you what I have already looked into. A; buying new batt packs. Forget it. Bosch dealers were asking $80-90 apiece when I checked into this a couple of years ago. Hence, the Ridgid. $169 bought the drill/driver, impact, two batts, charger, and carry bag. Less than the two replacements would have been from Bosch. B; I asked Bosch about converting to NiMh or Li-ion. No way which is what I expected to hear.

What to do? I have seen the YouTube videos where a wire feed DC welder or two 18v batteries in series are used to sort of pop the batteries and rejuvenate them. I cannot remember exactly what the process is called but some sort of build up occurs in NiCads and this sort of cooks it off I guess. Has anyone successfully tried this? As it stands the batteries are useless so I have nothing to really lose. Except maybe an eye or skin if one of them lets go. Is there a consensus about this? Thanks.

BTW, I have also looked into converting this to run on mains power with a switching DC power supply. Maybe make it a bench tool.

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
Tried it on a dead cordless at work. It definitely appeared to work because the batteries went from basically non-functional to being able to drive screws with no problem. That was some months ago, I'll ask around to see if the batteries actually held their ability to retain a charge.

My understanding is that quick high voltage pulses desulfate the plates in the cells.

I believe the drill we did this on was a NiCad. I'll get some better answers next time I'm in the shop and can take a look.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts