Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. First post and jumping in two feet first, (I have no idea if I'm doing this correctly.) I'm trying to figure how much to bid out labor to relamp 4' fluorescent bulbs with led replacements. Led bulbs provided, no disposal necessary, assuming no repairs needed. accessible with 6-10' ladder. 500 bulbs or so. I'm having a difficult time figuring how many I can change out in an hour. If I knew, I could formulate an estimate on my hourly rate. I usually do ballast and bulbs together and at a much smaller scale so have no idea. Thoughts?

·
Registered
14,472 Posts
Hi all. First post and jumping in two feet first, (I have no idea if I'm doing this correctly.) I'm trying to figure how much to bid out labor to relamp 4' fluorescent bulbs with led replacements. Led bulbs provided, no disposal necessary, assuming no repairs needed. accessible with 6-10' ladder. 500 bulbs or so. I'm having a difficult time figuring how many I can change out in an hour. If I knew, I could formulate an estimate on my hourly rate. I usually do ballast and bulbs together and at a much smaller scale so have no idea. Thoughts?
You're kidding.

Rent a scissor lift* or buy a scaffold... or two.

Going up and down on a ladder -- will destroy your profit -- and your body.

One scaffold can carry a LOT of stuff... at the right height.

At 6-feet long, such a scaffold is more than enough for you to dance around a given fixture.

The yellow Chinese imports go for ~$250ish... or less.

BTW, you need to STOP thinking about what you're making per hour.

You need to think about what a real electrical contractor would merit.

Read E-Myth and E-Myth, Revisited... before it's too late.

* A scissor lift is usually the way to go. But, you're in the Islands.

·
Hackenschmidt
10,450 Posts
This is probably too obvious of a suggestion but for this kind of thing I'd just

do a couple for free as part of the survey,
pay attention to the time involved,
make a realistic estimate based on how many of these I can do per hour at a normal pace, base the flat rate price-per on that,
and hustle like crazy to see if I can pick up some time and make a nice payday.

·
Hackenschmidt
10,450 Posts
Rent a scissor lift* or buy a scaffold... or two.
One scaffold can carry a LOT of stuff... at the right height.
If it's retrofits on 6' - 10' ladders it sounds like work in finished running commercial space, carpet and cubicles. A scaffold is great but it often can't be maneuvered in finished commercial space. Still it's probably worth it on this job just for materials storage and as a ladder cart :)

If you're making enough it might fund one of these beauties

·
Registered
12,376 Posts
Do you need to replace the tombstones? Are you working alone? I did 1500 for $60,000. That's working alone, sometimes up 3 sections of scaffold, and that included the lamp, no disposal. To retrofit 8 foot strips to 4 lamp 4 footers I charge $180 per fixture.

·
Banned
39,206 Posts
Do you need to replace the tombstones? Are you working alone? I did 1500 for $60,000. That's working alone, sometimes up 3 sections of scaffold, and that included the lamp, no disposal. To retrofit 8 foot strips to 4 lamp 4 footers I charge $180 per fixture.
Dude, you need a helper. Even if it's just a pair of hands.

·
Banned
11,885 Posts
I can open a 2x4 lay-in, remove the old lamps, open the belly pan, disconnect and remove the ballast, reconnect line power to the tombstones, put in the LED tubes, and close up in a touch over 5 minutes if I'm feeling froggy. 7 minutes if I check my phone twice.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
I should have said rake?
I agree on what you say is a rake board.
I'm talking about the aluminum plank that has hooks on each end. What's it called?

ETA: Just looked at some pictures. Looks like they call it a "stage".

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
61,088 Posts
I should have said rake?
I agree on what you say is a rake board.
I'm talking about the aluminum plank that has hooks on each end. What's it called?

ETA: Just looked at some pictures. Looks like they call it a "stage".
A stage is normally fairly long, an aluminum scaffold plank is shorter, then they have extend-a-planks.

·
Registered
946 Posts
If that's all you need to do then hire an apprentice to do it all for you while you look for your next project, it's not often I have a journeyman touch a lamp of any type these days but I do price it as one doing to the job to increase profit.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Our city crew just did the same job (2500 lamps) in an office building. Desks and such meant ladder work. I am told we allowed 1.8 minutes per lamp (straight swap out, 2 lamp fixtures). Any ballast change outs were extra. Work was done at night so there was no staff to get in the way and slow things down either.
We supplied the lamps as well so that markup gave us a buffer for the time wasted receiving the lamps, breaking down the pallets, moving the lamps to the appropriate floors and cleanup of a sh!t ton of cardboard and packaging (I think 10 lamps per box).

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Our city crew just did the same job (2500 lamps) in an office building. Desks and such meant ladder work. I am told we allowed 1.8 minutes per lamp (straight swap out, 2 lamp fixtures). Any ballast change outs were extra. Work was done at night so there was no staff to get in the way and slow things down either.
We supplied the lamps as well so that markup gave us a buffer for the time wasted receiving the lamps, breaking down the pallets, moving the lamps to the appropriate floors and cleanup of a sh!t ton of cardboard and packaging (I think 10 lamps per box).

This is great info, thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
there are more information's needed: are you replacing the lamps with direct drive LED lamps or LED lamps which work with the ballast? if direct drive LED lamps, do you need to replace the tombstone?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts