Electrician Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I and considering relocating from Michigan to Oregon. There are currently a few different companies that have contacted me to talk about the possibility of working fro them. Since I am not currently located in a reciprocal state, how hard would it be to get my license there. I have the application forms but it seems like I am getting conflicting information about what I actually need so submit depending on who I happen to get on the phone. I have been a Journeyman for about 18 years now. Can anybody help me out?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Which license are you applying for?
http://licenseinfo.oregon.gov/index...ies_lic&group_and_name=11211,BCD - Electrical

My advice would be it's better to submit too much documentation than not enough. Here's some other links to check out.

Chapter 479 — Protection of Buildings From Fire; Electrical Safety Law
479.630 Requirements for obtaining licenses; rules.
479.632 Applicant training or experience obtained in another state.

Oregon Administrative Rule chapter 918 Section 282-0170
918-282-0170 General Journeyman License

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
General Journeyman. I have been told different things by different people at the licensing office. It seems to have gone from a copy of my current license and a copy of my US department of labor apprenticeship completion certificate to 24000 hours documented and my first born son. I don't want to send incomplete application and be out the money

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I have been told different things by different people at the licensing office.
Yup, sounds like gumbint. If they operate like MI and decline your application for lack of documentation you may have a certain amount of time to resubmit before you lose your money (providing you can get what they want in that time frame).

Have you seen the paperwork submitted to LARA for out-of-state applicants appearing before the board? I'd plan on submitting something similar.

Michigan Electrical Administrative Board
Thursday, February 20, 2014. Agenda & Board Packet 1
Thursday, February 20, 2014. Agenda & Board Packet 2

If you have an apprenticeship completion certificate from the USDOL, I'd think you should be sitting pretty good. Although I'd probably also include a copy of your MI journeyman license, driver's license or ID, ACT 217 with licensing requirements highlighted, college transcripts, and notarized letters documenting at least 8,000 hours broken down to show various experience, and anything else you can dig up.

However, according to eejack if you just had an IBEW card you can work anywhere. :laughing:

It appears Oregon has a special experience verification form instead of requiring notarized letters on company letterhead. The below image is from their application instructions. Looks like hours required varies depending on if you went through a formal apprenticeship program or not.

Attachments

·
13,020 Posts
My wife is from Michigan and relocated to Oregon :thumbup:

Michigan Master seems to have done all the hard stuff for you already.

There seems to be some high level shake-ups occurring with the Electrical Department at Oregon BCD, so if you're going to do this, better sooner than later. Who knows what they may change the rules to next.

But in general, if you can prove that you have completed an acceptable apprenticeship program that satisfies Oregon apprenticeship requirements for Journeyman electricians (8000 OJT, 900 classroom with an approved curriculum), then that should be the bulk of required documentation you'll need.

Given that you're not reciprocal, worst case is that you'd have to prove your apprenticeship training and take the Oregon General Journeyman test.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for the replies. I think I have what they need now and plan on mailing the documentation in the morning. Guess we will see what happens.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts