Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Hi

What is the common power source for remote cell phone towers and which do they prefer ?

Do they use solar or generators that runs 24/7 ?

Utility supply for most of remote areas No coverage for a lot of really remote areas. Solar for SCADA but Cell can have greater power demands and have not seen any alternative energy sources.

More provisions to connect a generator through a transfer switch with no generator on site. Utlility is primary and the generator would be towed in for periods of extended outages.

·
Senior Moment
8,042 Posts
I maintain a bunch of repeater sites in remote and mountaintop locations. We use solar to feed large battery banks and back it all up with LP DC generators. The cost of refilling the LP tanks is huge, they only run as needed.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I recently talked with a friend who works for a company in the middle east that specializes in cellular communications, he said that they had remote cell towers far from any near utility power source, these towers consume around 5KW and are powered by diesel generators, he said that the most power goes to the A/C units.

Running diesel generators 24/7 is very expensive why not use solar isn't that more efficient ?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I recently talked with a friend who works for a company in the middle east that specializes in cellular communications, he said that they had remote cell towers far from any near utility power source, these towers consume around 5KW and are powered by diesel generators, he said that the most power goes to the A/C units.

Running diesel generators 24/7 is very expensive why not use solar isn't that more efficient ?
I find that scenario unlikely, but I've heard of towns in Alaska running of diesel generators.

·
PPE Saves Fingers
291 Posts
I find that scenario unlikely, but I've heard of towns in Alaska running of diesel generators.
There's a few towns in Manitoba that are run on diesel generators. Pretty remote, and last i heard they were looking to supplement with wind.

The big issue has been getting fuel to them. If the winter road season is too short they have to tap into the reserve (they aim to have 2 years supply on hand when the roads close). So multiple warm winters are bad.

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
Are these remote cell sites connecting to any landlines or fiber? Or do they work like repeaters?

·
Registered
14,973 Posts
john d said:
I recently talked with a friend who works for a company in the middle east that specializes in cellular communications, he said that they had remote cell towers far from any near utility power source, these towers consume around 5KW and are powered by diesel generators, he said that the most power goes to the A/C units. Running diesel generators 24/7 is very expensive why not use solar isn't that more efficient ?
My system is 3kW and I collect on average 10-12kW of power a day. 5kW a day is no problem.

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
Very interesting, thank you.

·
zap
1,351 Posts
drsparky said:
We use point to point microwave links that function as repeaters (kettle drum looking antennas), until we get near civilization then T1 lines.
your job sounds just like my commo job when I was in the army. How'd you get into that area of the trade? I would like to get back into that.

·
Senior Moment
8,042 Posts
your job sounds just like my commo job when I was in the army. How'd you get into that area of the trade? I would like to get back into that.
Spent 10 years doing industrial work but that slowed to a crawl, I'm also a retired USAF radio tech so getting a job that combines electronics and electrical was perfect for me. Good RF techs are rare and they will seek you out.

·
zap
1,351 Posts
drsparky said:
Spent 10 years doing industrial work but that slowed to a crawl, I'm also a retired USAF radio tech so getting a job that combines electronics and electrical was perfect for me. Good RF techs are rare and they will seek you out.
too bad you weren't here on the west coast I would be bugging the crap out of you for a job. What's your job title, if you don't mind sharing? It will give me a search term to use.

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
With the increase in number of cell phone users day by day cell phone tower signals amplifier has become a vital component, by using these amplifiers, each tower is able to process more data and push the data signals for communication. It is not easy to use solar energy source to runs 24/7 for remote cell phone tower, commercial generators are used for remote cell phone tower.
Well, when I picture "remote cell phone tower" I'm thinking an area that's sparsely populated, or, alongside a highway connecting population centers. So, need for cellular communication is there, but actual cellular traffic is light.

If a cell tower had to handle 500 simultaneous calls, I wouldn't be thinking this is a "remote" location.

·
Senior Moment
8,042 Posts
too bad you weren't here on the west coast I would be bugging the crap out of you for a job. What's your job title, if you don't mind sharing? It will give me a search term to use.
The US Government, Motorola, Harris, IT Tech Direct, TechPerm, Booz Allen and others are always looking for talent. Working for a Motorola or Kenwood LMR (Land Mobile Radio) dealer is a great start to get back into the industry.
Search under RF tech, Field Engineer, LMR tech. At my last employer folks would call themselves all kind of crazy titles like, "senior telecommunications systems annalist", but I demanded they list me as "radio fixer". I moved on and my current employer insists I use the term, "Field Technology Officer" on my signature block, I like like "radio fixer" better. A contract employee working for the Government ain't a bad gig.
Good RF folks are hard to find, computer weenies are common but combine both and then add experienced electrician on your resume and you got a lot of ammo when it comes to pay negotiations. Vets are also sought after.
Good luck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.