Electrician Talk banner

Removing sheathing on Romex

16460 85
Anyone else remove sheathing on romex like The electrician in "this old house video" ? http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/video/0,,1618107,00.html
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

· Retired Account
39,616 Posts

· Registered
8,189 Posts
I will do it like that in a pinch if I don't have a knife with me. Lots of sparkys use their side cutters for everything. Personally, it's my least used tool. I use it for a hammer, for twisting the occasional splice and untwisting/straightening wire ends.

And, if he use a plastic box, he wouldn't need to tape the recep.

I will try the fishtape drillbit thing though.

· Registered
6,224 Posts
220/221 said:
I will do it like that in a pinch if I don't have a knife with me. Lots of sparkys use their side cutters for everything. Personally, it's my least used tool. I use it for a hammer, for twisting the occasional splice and untwisting/straightening wire ends. And, if he use a plastic box, he wouldn't need to tape the recep. I will try the fishtape drillbit thing though.
When using screws instead of mad bars on a steel box I don't tape devices. Once I get backing n the swing of it I don't on mad bars either, but when I am rusty I do.

· Registered
4,174 Posts
I will do it like that in a pinch if I don't have a knife with me. Lots of sparkys use their side cutters for everything. Personally, it's my least used tool. I use it for a hammer, for twisting the occasional splice and untwisting/straightening wire ends.

And, if he use a plastic box, he wouldn't need to tape the recep.

I will try the fishtape drillbit thing though.
I use insulation hangers for my reference bits.

Works better than the fish tape and you can generally pull the shoe mold away a bit from the baseboard and sneak it between them.

· Registered
6,224 Posts
I use insulation hangers for my reference bits.

Works better than the fish tape and you can generally pull the shoe mold away a bit from the baseboard and sneak it between them.
I use a 1/8" drill bit and a piece of #14 bare, bent with an L in it. Reflects nicely when shining a flashlight on it.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.