Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
Why did he pull 4' of wire out of the hole then cut 2' off? :rolleyes: And that method of stripping looks hack, though he seems to have the knack for it.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
I like how he grabbed the reference bit with his bare hand right after it was used to drill through the floor

friction wouldn't have made that hot enough to burn his fingers :no::no:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried to see how well it works and it doesn't seem to damage the insulation on the conductors underneath.

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
If you do it right it doesn't work too bad. It works better on older romex with a thicker sheath. I just use a utility knife.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
I will do it like that in a pinch if I don't have a knife with me. Lots of sparkys use their side cutters for everything. Personally, it's my least used tool. I use it for a hammer, for twisting the occasional splice and untwisting/straightening wire ends.

And, if he use a plastic box, he wouldn't need to tape the recep.

I will try the fishtape drillbit thing though.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
I learned to chew gum and walk , doesn't make me olympian material.....:no:~CS~

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
220/221 said:
I will do it like that in a pinch if I don't have a knife with me. Lots of sparkys use their side cutters for everything. Personally, it's my least used tool. I use it for a hammer, for twisting the occasional splice and untwisting/straightening wire ends. And, if he use a plastic box, he wouldn't need to tape the recep. I will try the fishtape drillbit thing though.
When using screws instead of mad bars on a steel box I don't tape devices. Once I get backing n the swing of it I don't on mad bars either, but when I am rusty I do.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
I will do it like that in a pinch if I don't have a knife with me. Lots of sparkys use their side cutters for everything. Personally, it's my least used tool. I use it for a hammer, for twisting the occasional splice and untwisting/straightening wire ends.

And, if he use a plastic box, he wouldn't need to tape the recep.

I will try the fishtape drillbit thing though.
I use insulation hangers for my reference bits.

Works better than the fish tape and you can generally pull the shoe mold away a bit from the baseboard and sneak it between them.

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
I'm just happy to see an actual electrician doing this install intead of a homeowner.

Pete

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
I use insulation hangers for my reference bits.

Works better than the fish tape and you can generally pull the shoe mold away a bit from the baseboard and sneak it between them.
I use a 1/8" drill bit and a piece of #14 bare, bent with an L in it. Reflects nicely when shining a flashlight on it.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts