Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,543 Posts
What your opinion on subbing other local contractors out for help. Is there a percent of what ur charging bid wise I e. You charge 100/hr should you pay a sub electric contractor 75%?
If you can work it out I think it's an excellent way to do business. However, it kind of needs to work both ways, so you have to work out what works both ways, if you know what I mean. A guy I worked for used rent-a-electricians from the rental outfits from time to time. sometimes that worked well but most times not so much. (4 slugs out of 5 so called sparkys was normal)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The amounts are for example you think I'm going to put real cost in the internet?

An as for renting temp help...yea that's always been hit or mostly miss. On talking about from my competitors. An yea it's got to be give and take but is it realistic to trust that it will work. Because my other concern is then take bing additional work from what would come from a contract.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Geez, well we are a realistic/ honest competive bid contractor. And what I'm getting at is do you have to friends/ex coworkers to they a realistic rate for subbing out labor for a competent mechanic

Or us there a percentage of what ur charging that you should expect to still make a reasonable profit.

·
Registered
591 Posts
MRMFrederickElec said:
Geez, well we are a realistic/ honest competive bid contractor. And what I'm getting at is do you have to friends/ex coworkers to they a realistic rate for subbing out labor for a competent mechanic Or us there a percentage of what ur charging that you should expect to still make a reasonable profit.
We often share labour back and forth between contractors.

For the most part we have a charge out rate for loaning guys that covers our costs plus a few points but still allows the other contractor to bill labour out at a profit.
In generally works both ways, so that when we are in a position to borrow guys from other contractors that we can cover their costs and still bill out at profit.

Sometimes we end up in situations where one or the other is pulling/doing favours and rates could fluctuate to reflect that.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
Reactions: iwa

·
Registered
12,167 Posts

For the most part we have a charge out rate for loaning guys that covers our costs plus a few points but still allows the other contractor to bill labour out at a profit.
In generally works both ways, so that when we are in a position to borrow guys from other contractors that we can cover their costs and still bill out at profit.

Sometimes we end up in situations where one or the other is pulling/doing favours and rates could fluctuate to reflect that.
What happens if everyone gets super busy at the same time, every man for himself? :whistling2:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok well this is a waste of time, if there's a actual manager on here with a relative response to my question please post otherwise I will get on Facebook if I want to hear nonsense from people who can't keep up with a actual conversation so they just comment on grammar errors

·
corn-fused
4,769 Posts
as i said no disrespect, and if you cant handle a simple jibe, this is not the place for you. especially on friday night! (you probly wouldnt believe how many times i backed up to get this right!:whistling2:

·
Registered
3,109 Posts

I think that's a great idea, especially for small companys.

I've even thought of starting a "Builders Guild" where one gal could take care of the phones etc for a bunch of members.

Electricians and all the other crafts, who normally work out of their homes,could meet with prospective clients and share office expenses, work etc.

·
Registered
448 Posts
My old boss used to have 3 or 4 licensed contractors who worked alone that he could call if we needed extra manpower. The timing always seemed to just work out but you have to be careful with the employee vs. independent contractor designation. Hiring from an agency would seem like hit or miss to me.

·
Sophomore Member
106 Posts
What your opinion on subbing other local contractors out for help. Is there a percent of what ur charging bid wise I e. You charge 100/hr should you pay a sub electric contractor 75%?
75% seems more like "subbing out part of the contract" territory. Otherwise they're just sending hands that you have to figure out what to do with. The staffing places only charge 35-50%. Without some sort of accountability that's basically what you'd be getting.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.