Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a problem with an underground cable failure to a farm fed thru 3 11kV dropout fuses from a ring main,cable burns up where it goes through a rock that looks like the antenna rod out of an old radio,temporary overhead has been reconnected reason for ug cable was the sag on the line 5ft above ground was electrocuting horses,land had built up over the years you could watch mares shepherd their foals away but there are always a few dumbasses about,local people have dubbed the farmer the electric horseman,insurance company reckons some type of insurance scam is going on I suspected bush rats these guys are as big as a cat,and built like a brick chithouse,Mr Winchester took care of these,any ideas.

·
Banned
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How old is the cable? Is it in conduit? XLPE or EPR insulation?

My advice would be replace the cable. XLPE cable in particular doesn't do well after 40 years in service.
XPLE installed by the POCO farmer has connections with them I thought some kind of magnetic choke effect was occurring,first cable lasted 8 years second 2 years 3rd 4 weeks always melted near these rocks,the police have been called in by the insurance company as the farmer,in his younger days was in involved with shady mafia type characters doping horses with a drug called etorphine,called''elephant juice'' here.I took care of the rats with a Winchester 12 sawed off,farmer's daughter thought I was a real badass,why is it that everbody loves sawed off shottys.POCO has agreed to take the slack out of the overhead as a temporary fix.

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
XPLE installed by the POCO farmer has connections with them I thought some kind of magnetic choke effect was occurring,first cable lasted 8 years second 2 years 3rd 4 weeks always melted near these rocks,the police have been called in by the insurance company as the farmer,in his younger days was in involved with shady mafia type characters doping horses with a drug called etorphine,called''elephant juice'' here.I took care of the rats with a Winchester 12 sawed off,farmer's daughter thought I was a real badass,why is it that everbody loves sawed off shottys.POCO has agreed to take the slack out of the overhead as a temporary fix.
What do you mean by magnetic choke effect? It sounds like the sharp rocks are digging into the cable. Best option is to remove the rocks or run the wire where none exist.

also sounds like some of the horses are smart enough to stay away from 'stray' voltage! which happens in this kind of condition

Farm animals are extremely sensitive to stray voltage as can be dogs. 4 legs spread several feet apart are really good at picking up voltage gradients. Something as low as 1 volt can bother them.

·
Banned
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Boora?? Is that you??
Never heard of him had a fox terrier called borer when I was a kid he'd help my dad along with a few cats,to catch but nor kill rats he was knowing as a ratting man,came from Ireland used to catch rats then put them in a ring let jack Russell or foxys have a go at them one who killed the most in the quickest time was the winner,also involved in **** fighting and dog baiting with bull terriers against wild pigs.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
Do you have a lot of lightning strikes in that area?

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
This had some good reference information
http://www.nexans.no/eservice/Norwa...654/Norway/files/Underground_power_cables.pdf

Lightning strikes is a good point hardworking stiff, if the shielding isn't sufficient then those ferrite rocks may be causing something "funky" but there really isn't enough information to even make a guess.
Good point, but check or adequate sure protection too. The cable should have lightning arrestors at both ends close as possible to the elbows/potheads/terminations/bushings.

·
Banned
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do you have a lot of lightning strikes in that area?
Ocaisonally was once called out to sign off on an insurance claim for a guy who had a prized bull struck by lightning,took on e look told him that's a very nice job you've done with a soldering iron on that beast but still said yeah 100 million volts dropped him.

·
fertilizer distrubuter
1,250 Posts
Ocaisonally was once called out to sign off on an insurance claim for a guy who had a prized bull struck by lightning,took on e look told him that's a very nice job you've done with a soldering iron on that beast but still said yeah 100 million volts dropped him.
Seems like a vet would be the person too call on that one. Unless you are one of those electricians who use apprentices as meters, I don't know how you would know the first thing about what an electrical induced death would look like. I don't, thankfully.

·
Banned
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Seems like a vet would be the person too call on that one. Unless you are one of those electricians who use apprentices as meters, I don't know how you would know the first thing about what an electrical induced death would look like. I don't, thankfully.
A vet who did the necropsy was bought off by a case of beer he was an old pisshead.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.