Electrician Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In order to consolidate my electrical circuits into a new 20/40 150A load center, I need to re-route 13 existing circuits plus 3 new ones, without "breaking the bank." My original approach, was to replace my old 8x12 Cutler-Hammer & 8x10 Federal circuit breaker boxes with a Hoffman 12x8x4 pull box, situated in the place of the CH box. The problem is, eight of the existing circuits enter the CH box via 3, 3/4" EMT conduits that are strapped into the building, in positions that do not line up with the knockouts of any available pull box. Of course I could buy a no-knockout box & put in the holes myself, but to take care of both the 3/4" & 1/2" branch entries, plus a 1-1/2" exit hole to the new load center, but that would require popping for a $350 Greenlee Slug-Buster set, that I would only use one time.
It looks like I have three options:
1. Buy the Greenlee to do the job properly, & hope to sell it off later on.
2. Break the circuit "collection" into four boxes;
a. Two 3/4" EMT in, one 3/4" EMT out
b. One 3/4" EMT in, one 3/4" EMT out
c. Four 1/2" BX in, one 3/4" EMT out
3. Hire a professional electrician to do the whole enchilada

Of course all you guys will probably vote for option 3, but my budget will not handle LA journeyman scale, plus the "usual" material mark-up, unless I can find a local guy who is really desperate.

·
Sparks fly from my finger
2,530 Posts
Are you allowed to do your own electrical work where you live? Non permitted work means you are sol when it is found out and you will be paying someone to redo it anyways.

·
Banned
16,981 Posts
In order to consolidate my electrical circuits into a new 20/40 150A load center, I need to re-route 13 existing circuits plus 3 new ones, without "breaking the bank." My original approach, was to replace my old 8x12 Cutler-Hammer & 8x10 Federal circuit breaker boxes with a Hoffman 12x8x4 pull box, situated in the place of the CH box. The problem is, eight of the existing circuits enter the CH box via 3, 3/4" EMT conduits that are strapped into the building, in positions that do not line up with the knockouts of any available pull box. Of course I could buy a no-knockout box & put in the holes myself, but to take care of both the 3/4" & 1/2" branch entries, plus a 1-1/2" exit hole to the new load center, but that would require popping for a $350 Greenlee Slug-Buster set, that I would only use one time.
It looks like I have three options:
1. Buy the Greenlee to do the job properly, & hope to sell it off later on.
2. Break the circuit "collection" into four boxes;
a. Two 3/4" EMT in, one 3/4" EMT out
b. One 3/4" EMT in, one 3/4" EMT out
c. Four 1/2" BX in, one 3/4" EMT out
3. Hire a professional electrician to do the whole enchilada

Of course all you guys will probably vote for option 3, but my budget will not handle LA journeyman scale, plus the "usual" material mark-up, unless I can find a local guy who is really desperate.
Cool story bro.

·
More than lead and elbows
579 Posts
A local guy who is really desperate? Is it cheaper than replacing your house? You come here, ignore the rules, and then insult us by offering the job to a desparate local for peanuts? Nice, you'll fit right in!

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Ok, this thread is not going to end well.. and as they say in the NFL, after further review (of all the OP's posts) I'm throwing the yellow flag:

Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. However, working with electricity and electrical systems can be unsafe if not done by a professional licensed electrician. The moderators of this site would like to advise you to contact a professional electrician in your area.

If you are permitted by law in your area to do your own electrical work, please sign up at our sister site, www.DIYChatroom.com where many of our professionals are also members and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.