Electrician Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm admittedly a novice when it comes to electrical work, but I'm equipped enough to replace the basics. I pulled out this switch to replace and got completely lost.
It looks like both the dimmer and the single pole switch are for the same light. The switch goes to kitchen lights that are currently pulled out and capped off, but will eventually be replaced with a canned lighting series. The goal was to replace this with a new single pole switch because we don't need a dimmer in the kitchen. I wasn't sure what to expect when I pulled this out, but it wasn't this.
My question is, which wires should be capped/removed to remove the dimmer, which wires connect to the new single pole, and which wires need to be tied together to keep anything else in this run powered?
There's 5 wires entering this box, so I'm assuming that this is in the middle of a larger run. I can't tell which is the supply wire; although I suspect it is the lower left.
I hope I have included enough information and pictures to make this clear enough. Thank you in advance for the help.

I drew up a diagram the best I could to help clear up the mess in the picture.
And the new switch. Just a basic rocker.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,672 Posts
Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. However, working with electricity and electrical systems can be unsafe if not done by a professional licensed electrician. The moderators of this site would like to advise you to contact a professional electrician in your area. If you are permitted by law in your area to do your own electrical work, please sign up at our sister site, www.DIYChatroom.com where many of our professionals are also members and are looking forward to assist you with your needs. Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/ We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.