Electrician Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
...I see it, but with the reversed wiring of the receptacle, the current flowing on the shield, would be what ever resistance of the shield is, no...?
No more so than current on any other wire is limited by conductor resistance. If there's enough voltage behind it, it will drive more current than the circuit can handle.

Like I said, I don't see a single thing about this that seems impossible. I've seen both the main components of that story happen under separate circumstances.

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
Was thinking about that this morning while going to get donuts :)w00t:) and the only part I'd like to confirm is the circuit from the grounded prong on the power supply to the shield on the communications cable.

I have some old grounded laptop supplies, and didn't see any continuity between the DC side and AC side. Further, in the laptop they'd still also have to have continuity between the DC supply and the USB port.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.