Electrician Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
That is the most bizarre situation that would be the last thing on my mind, while actually working as an electrician.

So ONLY bootlegged grounds that aren't even bootlegged, because they're just completely wired wrong, can be found using a tic tracer?

What does the tic tracer do differently that distinguishes it as an improperly bootlegged, bootlegged ground receptacle? I'm supposed to walk through houses waving my tic tracer in the air, 2 feet away from receptacles, to see if it'll find these one in a million wrongly wired receptacles?

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
I admire Mike's passion on this issue.

Seems there's something to it, it's just a little above my head. Where I live it's all newer homes (60's and newer), so I don't run into bootlegged grounds. Guess I forget the rest of the world has much older communities and people do bizarre things over the years.

So the situation would be a homeowner getting shocks from a receptacle (or device plugged into a receptacle). The electrician fixes the problem.. then does a quick walk through, checking other receptacles' ground pin for live power and a bad bootleg?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.