Electrician Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a few GC's asking for some quotes for their projects this week. Just had to shake my head at the amount of information they include but still want a price.

1. Residential GC is overseeing a house being built. 1678 sqft. 3 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath. Sends me a floor plan which turns out is the pdf version of the sales brochure of a RTM company that also will sell the plans of their houses. It has total length and width of house, and each room has a _ft x _ft, but no scale, no wall measurements. Also its going on a basement, and a country lot. How much to wire it? 😕

2.Commercial GC sent me a text yesterday:
"LOCAL COMPANY would like to build 60 x 100 x 20‘ ceiling this year… concrete pad with floor heat and drains, 4 overhead doors 24 inch overhang. 4- commercial walk-in doors. No windows. Stand alone bldg. It’s not an addition. Would you give me a close labour and material price please? He's gonna get 3 phase 600 volt power in there from the highway."

I happen to know LOCAL COMPANY is a welding/machine shop with a couple of employees.

Just a little bit of a rant I guess, I wish they would give better information. Feel free to share similar stories!

·
Big nosed attic troll
10,711 Posts
I got a few GC's asking for some quotes for their projects this week. Just had to shake my head at the amount of information they include but still want a price.

1. Residential GC is overseeing a house being built. 1678 sqft. 3 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath. Sends me a floor plan which turns out is the pdf version of the sales brochure of a RTM company that also will sell the plans of their houses. It has total length and width of house, and each room has a _ft x _ft, but no scale, no wall measurements. Also its going on a basement, and a country lot. How much to wire it? 😕

"LOCAL COMPANY would like to build 60 x 100 x 20‘ ceiling this year… concrete pad with floor heat and drains, 4 overhead doors 24 inch overhang. 4- commercial walk-in doors. No windows. Stand alone bldg. It’s not an addition. Would you give me a close labour and material price please? He's gonna get 3 phase 600 volt power in there from the highway."

I happen to know LOCAL COMPANY is a welding/machine shop with a couple of employees.

Just a little bit of a rant I guess, I wish they would give better information. Feel free to share similar stories!
once i start bishing bout these things, i dont stop....but rant away brother

·
Electrical Contractor
5,538 Posts
1. Detailed quote with number of lights, receptacles etc etc.
State exactly what they are getting for the price.
Anything else is extra.
2. Same as above, except lighting is based on foot candles.
Of course, everything above and beyond the numbers in your quote is extra

·
Read Only
790 Posts

A very reasonable rant, to many of these stories to share. Upon explanation I get "what about $p/sq ft" "how bout a ballpark" "the previous sparky just gave me a number" etc etc.

Either accurate details for accurate estimates, or.....become a change order guru. The later of which can be very profitable, but challenging.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Knowing what I know about the #2, very good chance that there will be a lunch room/locker room, probably even move the office area over to the new building. With a 20' ceiling, then probably a mezzanine area above those, so extra lighting there. They have 240V single phase right now in the old building, so wire to move those to the new building, or will they upgrade to 600V welders? Quite likely they might even want an overhead crane put in there...

I have worked with both of these GC's previously on other projects. The #1 bid will be compared to another electrician, no doubt. #2 might not. Estimated scope will have to be very clear.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like this rant because GC’s are messed up, a couple of weeks ago I had a pre job walk through with one to give him a price….he sent me to the wrong address!
To be fair, that could be an honest mistake on their part. Juggling multiple projects and an address got put in the wrong file or something. But for sure frustrating!

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Sometimes we do it to the GC around here. Had a bunch of them out yesterday to look at a project we are starting in 2023. Completely take out a 12000 plus ft rwy including subbase, replace with new, all new updated electrical and drainage. This project is north of 100 million and they need to get pricing in by Feb 9th. It's going to be a busy 3.5 weeks for them

Tim

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
2,680 Posts
With these kinds of quotes you may get many different opinions. Only you can read the customer. In this economy many are trying to save money to offset the increase in material cost.. Are they trying to avoid hiring an electrical designer? Do they want you to design / build? Do they want a price to see if building is feasible? Some people will work several electricians until they get the desired results. One GC I am working with has been working with 3 electrical contractors for almost a year on several different sites. I got one job. Another electrician got the second and the third job is still up for grabs. You decide if you want to play or be played. The third job I am looking at was redesigned 4 times in 2021 and now I am doing another takeoff and bid for the 5th time.

·
Hackenschmidt
13,262 Posts
I deal with this kind of thing a lot, not just requests for quotes. I get a two-sentence email or text message regarding tens of thousands of dollars of work. They're either lazy, incompetent, not serious, or all of the above.

The thing I don't do is put a ton of effort into a response that someone put so little thought or effort into. Give two sentences, get two sentences. "That price could be pretty high or pretty low based on that info, I'd need a lot more details. What's your budget, and what's your time frame?"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts