Electrician Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 44 Posts
Comon, no way can you learn everything you need to know from reading a book and posting on the forum. That guy will be calling you when it's all fubar'd up :thumbsup:

No. They will get the lights to come on any way possible, no matter how dangerous. Then they will brag to friends and family about what a rip off doubleoh7 electric is. "He wanted $2000 for a new 200 amp service and I did it myself for $300". Some of the guys I know on the Volutneer Fire department may get a call.

No. They will get the lights to come on any way possible, no matter how dangerous. Then they will brag to friends and family about what a rip off doubleoh7 electric is. "He wanted $2000 for a new 200 amp service and I did it myself for $300". Some of the guys I know on the Volutneer Fire department may get a call.
Remember, these guys aren't your target customer. You want customers with MONEY!

No they don't.. I decided the only resi I'm doing is for those with money that are willing to pay reasonable rates. Just have to work on selling points for that market.

" willing to pay reasonable rates"

That is the key. If they call and say they are seeking quotes for ........ I ask if they are looking for the lowest price and if that is the only factor. If the answer is yes, I simply tell them that I am not interested. :thumbsup:

" willing to pay reasonable rates"

That is the key. If they call and say they are seeking quotes for ........ I ask if they are looking for the lowest price and if that is the only factor. If the answer is yes, I simply tell them that I am not interested. :thumbsup:
I don't have much busines.. But if I had money who would I want to hire? Drug users? 10$ an hour guys? Whoever shoes up?

Or.. Do I want personalized service from a trustworthy source?

If I had money I wouldn't let crackhead electric on my property.

I don't have much busines.. But if I had money who would I want to hire? Drug users? 10$ an hour guys? Whoever shoes up?

Or.. Do I want personalized service from a trustworthy source?

If I had money I wouldn't let crackhead electric on my property.

Many people with money ARE stupid. Or they may be Indians or Jewish. They don't care about the quality, just the lowest price. They see electrical work as a commodity. What is the difference to them, either way, the lights come on don't they?

Many people with money ARE stupid. Or they may be Indians or Jewish. They don't care about the quality, just the lowest price. They see electrical work as a commodity. What is the difference to them, either way, the lights come on don't they?
But think how many customers ask you "if their wiring is safe". I look at it and tell them to keep their smoke alarms functioning. I know where you're coming from. Just lost a bid that I wouldn't have shown up for what they supposedly paid.

That market sucks. Need to target those with money.

But think how many customers ask you "if their wiring is safe". I look at it and tell them to keep their smoke alarms functioning. I know where you're coming from. Just lost a bid that I wouldn't have shown up for what they supposedly paid.

That market sucks. Need to target those with money.

There are not enough with money. When they ask me if their wiring is safe, I do that too. I get this crazy look on my face and tell them to make sure their smoke detectors are funtioning at ALL times!:laughing:

Usually, when they ask that question, they have no intention of paying you to do something. Very seldom, have I said your home needs rewired and they have had me do it. I then hear things like can't you just look it over and "fix" what needs "fixing". No ma'm your house needs rewired and you have a Federal Pacific panel that ain't getting any safer.

Those customers are simply looking for someone to blame when something goes wrong. "Doubleoh7 Electric worked on my electric and my home burned down 3 months later. I'm sueing him" They won't say: " he recomended 10K worth of electrical work and I did not want to pay. That is too much money for someone like that to make".

Well I can't argue with that one. :no:

To the OP, go to the NFPA's website found here:

http://www.nfpa.org/

Create an account and register with the site. After you do that click on this link for a FREE read only file of the 2011 NEC. It can't be saved, copied, or printed but it's better than nothing for now.

http://www.nfpa.org/onlinepreview/online_preview_document.asp?id=7011SB
Is the 2008 Version available as well? Thanks in advance.

The most standard verticle stapling is 6" from box, 12" from where it enters top plate and one staple center for low(receptacle) boxes. I often stick my screwdriver through the sheetrock at around these locations and almost always find and remove the staple.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.