Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Electrical Contractor
5,566 Posts
Hey guys I had a cheat sheet for a load calc. but lost it does anyone know or have one they wanna share?
Your profile says you are a journeyman.
Shouldn't take you very long to do the calculations.

That being said, try Google

·
Estwing magic
27,427 Posts
I meant that as tongue in cheek, but for the most part if you put in gas heat you should be able to get by with a 100A service, if you put in an electric furnace you will end up needing 200A.
You just said the same thing using different words. You have to consider building size and the connected loads, not just electric heat.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor, Master/FSR Electrician
643 Posts
darren79 said:
I meant that as tongue in cheek, but for the most part if you put in gas heat you should be able to get by with a 100A service, if you put in an electric furnace you will end up needing 200A.
I'm not advocating skipping the load calc, because if the house is big enough, it could exceed 100A without electric heat and 200A with electric heat. And arbitrarily throwing those numbers down could be shortsighted. However, I do recall my first year instructor saying something similar to what you said.

I have heard the number of 8 watts/square foot for heating (electric).

If one is looking for a cheat sheet, I would think knowing your threshold numbers for bumping up services, would be some of the most important numbers to know.

·
Electrical Contractor
5,566 Posts
I can't even fathom putting in a 100 amp service in a new home.
Maybe an apartment but a free standing house?? no way.
There are lots of new 3000 sq ft and larger homes with only a 100 service.
It's amazing how easy it is for the homeowner to spend thousands of dollars on taps etc, but cry the blues when you want to upgrade to a 200 amp:cry:
Same thing happens when they buy their lighting. The cheaper the better:censored:

·
Estwing magic
27,427 Posts
There are lots of new 3000 sq ft and larger homes with only a 100 service.
It's amazing how easy it is for the homeowner to spend thousands of dollars on taps etc, but cry the blues when you want to upgrade to a 200 amp:cry:
Same thing happens when they buy their lighting. The cheaper the better:censored:
So what is your average cost to upgrade to 200A?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.