Electrician Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I'm getting ready to wire a new house for my brother. I do mostly commercial and industrial work, so I was wondering how the good resi guys layout your ckts? Do you guys do a room on a ckt with recepts and lighting together, or do you do separate lighting and receptacle ckts throughout the house? Thanks for the help, and any other advice would be greatly appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
12,505 Posts
Hey guys! I'm getting ready to wire a new house for my brother. I do mostly commercial and industrial work, so I was wondering how the good resi guys layout your ckts? Do you guys do a room on a ckt with recepts and lighting together, or do you do separate lighting and receptacle ckts throughout the house? Thanks for the help, and any other advice would be greatly appreciated thanks.
There are many who do it combined, many that will tell you it can't be done that way. I like to do the master(if large) with one circuit. Smaller bedrooms with a circuit for two. I don't separate. One other tip I'll post is to put a 120 volt receptacle behind the range even if it's going to be electric. Someday some will switch to gas.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
MO
Ask him about their TV / telephone/ and Computer equirements.
Locate all drops in all the rooms and frankly I won't rely on TV / telephone
service - installors for any type of services they might want.
They will not work with a preconstruction on a single residental they are post construction, and could care less about drilling here or there...

You can find out and use their requiresment and put it where you want. You can also find out Demark requirements.

Hard wire a phone in the house at least one. Wireless is not always a good thing.
A hard wire is twice as fast as wireless.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
They will not work with a preconstruction on a single residental they are post construction, and could care less about drilling here or there...

Prior to divestiture in 1984, the TELCO would wire houses for free because they received revenue off of the leased telephones. I would do at least 2 prewires a day.

After divestiture the TELCO started charging for prewire because now the customer owned the wire and it was the HO responsibility for the wire. Most GC either did not prewire for the phones or had the electricians do it. I have not done a prewire post 1984!

·
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,416 Posts
I'm always interested in new trick styles of routing multiple home run through attic.

·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the quick replys guys, it was a lot of help. Ive wired houses in the past so Im pretty familiar with knowing what to install, I was just curious about the different ways you guy do the circuitry these days.

·
Head Grunt
415 Posts
Like one said above keep the AFCI circuits to a minimum due to costs and hassles. I also prefer to keep the lighting circuits separate for this reason too. Most any toggle switch creates an arc so the last thing you need is to enter a room, turn on the light and trip the AFCI breaker. Otherwise drill your holes and start pulling. Keep the home runs as short as possible and i prefer 14-2/14-3 for lighting for cheaper wire costs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts