Electrician Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im a new one man shop. Licensed and bonded. I typically try to always do my jobs on a time and material basis as it is the safest when doing business. However many of the jobs especially general contractors want bids. If i don't give a bid i wont get the job. I am curious to how electrical shops give bids on new construction houses. I know some shops charge a certain dollar amount on sq footage and some shops bid on every opening by adding up every outlet and switch and recessed can. Adding up every opening is how i have been trying to give bids. I charge $60 for every outlet $60 for every switch and $125 for every can. Do these numbers sound accurate for the Seattle area which has the highest construction boom in the country right now? Or what is the best method to figure out a estimate for a new construction house?

·
Registered
14,469 Posts
Im a new one man shop. Licensed and bonded. I typically try to always do my jobs on a time and material basis as it is the safest when doing business. However many of the jobs especially general contractors want bids. If i don't give a bid i wont get the job. I am curious to how electrical shops give bids on new construction houses. I know some shops charge a certain dollar amount on sq footage and some shops bid on every opening by adding up every outlet and switch and recessed can. Adding up every opening is how i have been trying to give bids. I charge $60 for every outlet $60 for every switch and $125 for every can. Do these numbers sound accurate for the Seattle area which has the highest construction boom in the country right now? Or what is the best method to figure out a estimate for a new construction house?
This is the worst sector of the market for ECs.

You need to troll through the back threads WRT T&M versus bid-work.

No-one makes $$$ on a T&M basis in the residential space.

It just can't be done.

BTW, national numbers -- the 'other guy's' quotes -- are meaningless for you.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
34,724 Posts
This is the worst sector of the market for ECs.

You need to troll through the back threads WRT T&M versus bid-work.

No-one makes $$$ on a T&M basis in the residential space.

It just can't be done.

BTW, national numbers -- the 'other guy's' quotes -- are meaningless for you.

Cut it out, No one? Bull****, I make money every day on Residential bid jobs. You didn't? Good, that shows me you were a crappy contractor and bidder.

·
Registered
14,469 Posts
Cut it out, No one? Bull****, I make money every day on Residential bid jobs. You didn't? Good, that shows me you were a crappy contractor and bidder.
Re-read MY post.

"T&M"

Yes, that's the magic qualifier.

GCs are not going to accept a T&M contract.

So...

You can't make any money that way.

Keep in mind: "new construction houses."

Per the OP.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.