Electrician Talk banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
Master Electrician
595 Posts
I used to work in Vancouver on residential towers. A couple of hundred trade workers sharing 2 or 3 portable toilets on the ground level and a 30+ minute wait for the skip. If you were lucky they would bring a half-toilet up to the 15th floor. Sitting there taking a :poop: with a view of the ocean and the cool breeze blowing in your face. It truly was magical.... and everyone can see the look on your face when they come running down the stairs ready to piss their pants and you're still pinching a loaf. :LOL:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Many many years ago there was an article in the home section of a local newspaper. It dealt with a homeowner who was having work done in her house and one of the workers asked to use the bathroom. She was a bit surprised and did not know what to say . She was uncomfortable but said yes. This question to the newspaper led into an article about contractors etiquette. This was a basic dos and don't s and reasons why. In 40 years I probably used the customers bathroom maybe 12 times and only for people I knew well. Fortunately where I am we are rarely more than 10 / 15 minutes from a Home Depot or other supply house, or some public bathroom. What is the consensus here about using a customer's facilities? I just hired someone who drinks a lot of water, 64oz plus per day and you know what that means. 4 times in one day. I wonder what the homeowner was thinking. He is young and like a little kid I told him to go before we left and while we were at the supply house but as soon as we show up at the house, nature calls. He tied into the homeowners wifi and Sonos speakers for his music. He is a very polite kid and always asks the homeowner before he does anything. After work I explained what I remembered from the etiquette article but he did not understand what was wrong as long as he asked. Has etiquette changed and I am stuck in the old way of doing things?
Many many years ago there was an article in the home section of a local newspaper. It dealt with a homeowner who was having work done in her house and one of the workers asked to use the bathroom. She was a bit surprised and did not know what to say . She was uncomfortable but said yes. This question to the newspaper led into an article about contractors etiquette. This was a basic dos and don't s and reasons why. In 40 years I probably used the customers bathroom maybe 12 times and only for people I knew well. Fortunately where I am we are rarely more than 10 / 15 minutes from a Home Depot or other supply house, or some public bathroom. What is the consensus here about using a customer's facilities? I just hired someone who drinks a lot of water, 64oz plus per day and you know what that means. 4 times in one day. I wonder what the homeowner was thinking. He is young and like a little kid I told him to go before we left and while we were at the supply house but as soon as we show up at the house, nature calls. He tied into the homeowners wifi and Sonos speakers for his music. He is a very polite kid and always asks the homeowner before he does anything. After work I explained what I remembered from the etiquette article but he did not understand what was wrong as long as he asked. Has etiquette changed and I am stuck in the old way of doing things?
I always ask the customer If I can use their bathroom.

·
Registered
161 Posts
A half gallon per day (64 oz) is not much unless your days are short. #2 gets dropped off at the closest convenience store. Ask permission for using the bathroom. Either we use the customer's facilities or the time involved grows. And time is money - the customer's money.

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Electricians wiring 2 story apt buildings, had no place to go & this was in the days when Romex came in cardboard boxes, so dropped a load in a Romex box & tossed it out the window.
I forgot all about the handy romex boxes. Except we threw them into the dumpster if available.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
A half gallon per day (64 oz) is not much unless your days are short. #2 gets dropped off at the closest convenience store. Ask permission for using the bathroom. Either we use the customer's facilities or the time involved grows. And time is money - the customer's money.
His mother told him to drink 1/2 his body weight in ounces per day. The kid is only about 125 pounds.

·
Registered
Lighting Installer
7 Posts
Two issues here. The first one is always follow the golden rule, in this case act like how you would wAnt a contractor to treat your spouse and kids. If you don’t want that person acting a certain way, you should not do it either,

Second this is a job where often we have to supply everything ourselves and often we are “roughing it”. As a contractor pretty quickly you get used to urinating just about anywhere More than once I’ve also made use of shop towels and a trash bag, buckets being optional. The back of a van or truck or opening two side doors may be your only options. Similarly always carry a bug out bag and overnight bag. Don’t plan on meals having access to a microwave or fast food and don’t plan on always sleeping in your own bed, or any bed. And plan on getting nasty when you don’t expect it, or the weather report being wrong.

So you start to think of indoor plumbing as a modern convenience as a contractor, not a necessity. And others have it much worse than electrical contractors. Think of divers for instance in dry suits.

Once you get the “roughing it” idea in your head though it’s hard think they other way. Once you are used to going anywhere it is far more convenient to use a bush than to go through a long complicated effort to handle a simple nature call.

My personal downfall is thinking the job will
Be quick and I can hold a nature call until after the job is done.
Just gotta be careful because sometimes there's cameras outside.

·
Registered
59 Posts
he wanted a password for the owners wifi?
field check. end of story.
he even ASKED? field check for asking. wtf is he there for? recreation?

i was working in a very expensive house, and asked the customer where the restroom was at.
she said... "the restroom is only for family members."

i nodded, said i understood, and as i hadn't started work yet, after a 90 minute drive, walked
out to the van, opened the drivers side door, and peed on the driveway, carefully not getting any
on my feet. then, i got in the van, and drove away.

dunno if they ever called to see what happened to me. i blocked the number.

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
14,703 Posts
Damn what kind of ship was that? My Knox class FF had proper stalls
That is on a DE museum ship, I forgot which one.
My Knox was 1092. I liked carrier life better.
Ya the Knox class had better heads. But the forward one sure did back up in rough seas. Brown trout season.

·
Registered
278 Posts
From the time of my first construction job, in fact even in High School, it seems that I could train my bowels to reletiase first thing in the morning or just before sports. Literally 7 minutes after awakening, done for the day. Served me VERY well though our all my careers.
With regard to liquids: If one does not have to take a leak at LEAST three times during a work day, then they are NOT drinking enough. The danger in this is that bladder infections and problems will begin to take affect as you age. My father was in the trades and wound up peeing blood regularly on hot days. Not pretty at all. Neither are the infections that come with that.
All that being said, I am never afraid to TELL a customer that I need to use their facilities. If they require me to leave, the change orders will begin shortly. Things that I would just do and be done with it begin to cost them money. There is NOTHING so rude as a person who does not understand that basic bodily functions must be attended, or that is afraid to let a tradesman use the facilities.
BTW, TP is ALWAYS in my truck, at least 3 half rolls in the net behind the seats. Its called MOUNTAIN MONEY for a reason.

·
Registered
Master Electrician
595 Posts
Just gotta be careful because sometimes there's cameras outside.
Outside. Inside. Across the street on the neighbors doorbell. Poking out of the neighbors soffit. I have a full 360* view of my house with my cameras. At this point I just assume I am always being filmed when I'm working.

he wanted a password for the owners wifi?
He can't afford a data plan in 2022? Might be a red flag. I wouldn't trust anyone else's wifi, and I certainly wouldn't give any random strangers access to my network.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Outside. Inside. Across the street on the neighbors doorbell. Poking out of the neighbors soffit. I have a full 360* view of my house with my cameras. At this point I just assume I am always being filmed when I'm working.

He can't afford a data plan in 2022? Might be a red flag. I wouldn't trust anyone else's wifi, and I certainly wouldn't give any random strangers access to my network.
He wanted the wifi to tie into the customers speakers for his music. I did not know until after the fact. I told him I have 2 Bluetooth speakers in the truck . He has a lot to learn.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
844 Posts
That is on a DE museum ship, I forgot which one.
My Knox was 1092. I liked carrier life better.
Ya the Knox class had better heads. But the forward one sure did back up in rough seas. Brown trout season.
Ya,I was 3rd div and we were in charge of the forward head. As a SN STG most of my Div mates were pushbutton PO3's so I did my share of trout wrangling.

·
Registered
278 Posts

I make sure apprentices know that music is not welcome on my jobs. If they can't hear me when I speak, or call them the earbuds go, period. There is no second chance.. I wear earbuds for my phone only. They have mild noise cancellation which is good, but I can hear anyone calling or yelling for help or trying to talk to me.
Job sites are not about someone "enjoying" their day. They are about safety first so that every day can be enjoyed. Listening to music is the easiest way to get hurt on the job, especially when there are multiple crews.

·
Registered
15,314 Posts
I make sure apprentices know that music is not welcome on my jobs. If they can't hear me when I speak, or call them the earbuds go, period. There is no second chance.. I wear earbuds for my phone only. They have mild noise cancellation which is good, but I can hear anyone calling or yelling for help or trying to talk to me.
Job sites are not about someone "enjoying" their day. They are about safety first so that every day can be enjoyed. Listening to music is the easiest way to get hurt on the job, especially when there are multiple crews.
Ditto!

·
Registered
Master Electrician
595 Posts
Job sites are not about someone "enjoying" their day
I couldn't disagree more, sorry. I measure productivitely by the week, not the day, hour, or minute. Micromanaging increased my stress and decreased overall productivity. Happy workers will work harder when you need them. Treat them like slaves and they will drop the tools when the bell rings and go home because that's all you pay them to do.
They are about safety first so that every day can be enjoyed. Listening to music is the easiest way to get hurt on the job, especially when there are multiple crews.
I have never witnessed an accident or injury that would have been prevented if music wasn't playing. I've quit jobs for less. If you told me that I couldn't listen to my own music I would pack my bags and tell you to finish the job yourself.

I do agree with the part about communication. If someone is not alert enough to turn off the music when I need to talk to them, that would be an issue. Usually the music is quietest thing on a job site.

How do you feel about hearing protection in general?

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
14,703 Posts
Ya,I was 3rd div and we were in charge of the forward head. As a SN STG most of my Div mates were pushbutton PO3's so I did my share of trout wrangling.
The FF was my 3rd ship and I was a GM so I didn’t have to go hurding those trout.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Usually the music is quietest thing on a job site.

How do you feel about hearing protection in general?
The problem with music is that it adds to the overall noise levels, the louder the job the louder people want to play music. I have been on sites where it was insanely loud due to the fight between ambient construction noise and music.

It is too late for my ears with regard to hearing protection, now it is about minimizing further damage only. So, yes, it is a good thing to use from day one as an apprentice. Noise cancelling earbuds are an excellent tool for this.
As I said I keep my noise cancelling earbuds (never ear cups) set low and use them for hearing protection, not music. I use them for phone communication when necessary only and as a radio when working with others to communicate across the site.
I do not mind people listening to music, I do mind when it affects communication and safety and frankly I mind if music irritates (I should not have to hear it if it irritates me, irritating me has a lot to do with the hearing damage I have from industry rather than the music itself, it can make communication very hard). Having been on safety teams in industry, it comes down to "can the person hear the communication around them"? If not then the privilege is revoked at least until the person understands the safety part of the equation and adjusts. I have never had an apprentice or even a JM that this was a problem for. They get it when it is explained.
If you have ever been on a site where someone was injured or had a heart attack or whatever then you would want the same (I have been on sites in industry where someone died and was revived because of communication). What if it was you, in an attic or crawl space and needed help and everyone had music on and could not hear you? There is NO way that a person could know that they needed to turn down the volume to communicate when you are not standing there trying to talk to them!
Stopping unsafe conditions is nothing to do with micromanaging at all. It is a REQUIREMENT ON ALL JOBS.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts