Electrician Talk banner
61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
36th year apprentice & Floor Sweeper
2,117 Posts
I’ve always felt that any loose bills or change left out, was left there as my tip. I never understood some costumers that made me dig through drawers to find my tip. It probably could have saved them some money had they just left it out.

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
I couldn't disagree more, sorry. I measure productivitely by the week, not the day, hour, or minute. Micromanaging increased my stress and decreased overall productivity. Happy workers will work harder when you need them. Treat them like slaves and they will drop the tools when the bell rings and go home because that's all you pay them to do.

I have never witnessed an accident or injury that would have been prevented if music wasn't playing. I've quit jobs for less. If you told me that I couldn't listen to my own music I would pack my bags and tell you to finish the job yourself.

I do agree with the part about communication. If someone is not alert enough to turn off the music when I need to talk to them, that would be an issue. Usually the music is quietest thing on a job site.

How do you feel about hearing protection in general?
I agree with your take on music. I usually have the Bluetooth speaker and I Heart radio. I am both a news junkie and country western music fan. A big Zac Brown fan. LOUD trash metal or death rock music is a no go. Also Rap music. Keep the music low so you can hear what us going on. I try to be the only crew at the jobsite at the time. If there are multiple crews on site then little or no radio.

·
Registered
Master Electrician
595 Posts
he louder the job the louder people want to play music.
I have been on sites like that, too, anything can be taken to the extreme. If there is music playing and someone turns their radio up louder they should be removed from the site. If the job is loud I'm wearing bluetooth headphones with hearing protection.

If your apprentice is wearing headphones and he doesn't hear you, try calling his phone. Hands free communication is pretty useful on a job site.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Many many years ago there was an article in the home section of a local newspaper. It dealt with a homeowner who was having work done in her house and one of the workers asked to use the bathroom. She was a bit surprised and did not know what to say . She was uncomfortable but said yes. This question to the newspaper led into an article about contractors etiquette. This was a basic dos and don't s and reasons why. In 40 years I probably used the customers bathroom maybe 12 times and only for people I knew well. Fortunately where I am we are rarely more than 10 / 15 minutes from a Home Depot or other supply house, or some public bathroom. What is the consensus here about using a customer's facilities? I just hired someone who drinks a lot of water, 64oz plus per day and you know what that means. 4 times in one day. I wonder what the homeowner was thinking. He is young and like a little kid I told him to go before we left and while we were at the supply house but as soon as we show up at the house, nature calls. He tied into the homeowners wifi and Sonos speakers for his music. He is a very polite kid and always asks the homeowner before he does anything. After work I explained what I remembered from the etiquette article but he did not understand what was wrong as long as he asked. Has etiquette changed and I am stuck in the old way of doing things?
Listen, everybody eats, drinks, and shits. Despite what Jewish people think, I never smelled **** that smelled nice. Nobody likes to **** in someone else’s house, but if you are charging by the hour, it’s not possible to leave, drive someplace, and come back. Worst scenario carry a can of spray when your done. At that point you have shown as much respect as you can, and that’s that.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have pooped in a bag and bucket in my truck a dozen times, no big deal. :giggle:
I have a gallon ziplock with a roll of TP and some kitchen garbage bags tucked away in the cab of my truck for such occasions.
Keep a 2' piece of 6" PVC in your truck, it will be around long after a bucket disappears. :confused:
I typically won't pee on the ground unless I'm way out in the wild somewhere. Ill pee in a water bottle or a cup and then dump it in the bushes or cap the bottle and throw it away when Ican.
We call that a sh*t kit and all trucks are so equipped

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

61 - 66 of 66 Posts