Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
33,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a close friend (actually the brother of my friend in FLorida that needs the main CB changed)

He lives north west of Atlanta and wants to install a 20 KW Generac, with the Generac ATS.

Model - 20 KW Model No. 5875 Quoted $4497.00 by a local dealer- Seems very reasonable to me.

Does the Generac ATS (buying separately) connect like a typical ATS, utility feed and generator feed to fee the panel that is part of the ATS assembly.

Why do they include the whips with the ATS?

·
Can't Remember
11,140 Posts
I don't think the 5875 is made anymore. We are on a unit two models farther ahead than that. Different control board. 5887 and now we are on to 6250. Might be high for a discontinued unit. Warranty? I have a few of these out there, mostly good luck. As others have said, the whips are for the smaller units with subpanels as part of the switch. I usually pair these with a 200amp whole house type switch and some load shed or a 100 amp switch and a sub panel that I can put together with circuits we choose with load shedding as a option too.

·
Registered
33,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think the 5875 is made anymore. We are on a unit two models farther ahead than that. Different control board. 5887 and now we are on to 6250. Might be high for a discontinued unit. Warranty? I have a few of these out there, mostly good luck. As others have said, the whips are for the smaller units with subpanels as part of the switch. I usually pair these with a 200amp whole house type switch and some load shed or a 100 amp switch and a sub panel that I can put together with circuits we choose with load shedding as a option too.
Can you send me a link for a 20 KW and whole house ATS.

·
Can't Remember
11,140 Posts
I think if you go right to the site you'll find everything I can give you. The switch we would use is the same as it has been for a while, except we use low voltage for control of the load shed wires. These aren't two wire start as has been discussed. All the brains are in the generator control board. There are ways to do 2 wire start, but in this case is not worth it. Stick with the Generac switch.

·
Registered
33,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think if you go right to the site you'll find everything I can give you. The switch we would use is the same as it has been for a while, except we use low voltage for control of the load shed wires. These aren't two wire start as has been discussed. All the brains are in the generator control board. There are ways to do 2 wire start, but in this case is not worth it. Stick with the Generac switch.
The generic web site ain't the best.

·
Registered
20,135 Posts
I really think the non-two wire start has more people hating Generac than any other stupid thing they do.
They would seriously gain a huge market share if they did away with this.

We have a place here in Miami that makes a two wire conversion for them but what an unnecessary PITA.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
jrannis said:
I really think the non-two wire start has more people hating Generac than any other stupid thing they do. They would seriously gain a huge market share if they did away with this. We have a place here in Miami that makes a two wire conversion for them but what an unnecessary PITA.
Up here Generac IS the standby market, with some Kohlers and Briggs/GEs floating around too. No 2 wire start obviously hasn't been a hindrance.

·
Can't Remember
11,140 Posts
Been working on an AE8 Pow'r Gard over in Rochvegas. That's the first two wire start model I have ever worked on. Kohler has there thing too. Not sure what Onan has. Homeowner's not going to care as long as the power comes on. Not sure I do either. I could see it with the really big stuff.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.