Electrician Talk banner

residential main breaker panel

1838 5
When installing a new breaker panel does anyone here sandwich a piece of drywall behind it. (5/8 fire ******ent). E.g. onto concrete basement wall - panel then drywall then plywood to wall.
Thanks
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
:-)
3,664 Posts
Alberta, no.

Drop a couple of 2x4 from the joists. 32" wide x 48" plywood. Staple poly on the back of plywood leaving 6" or so on each side and top, bottom.

Plywood on the 2x4s. GC will bitch but will also insulate behind. The extra 6" of your poly will go under his poly when he does it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
When installing a new breaker panel does anyone here sandwich a piece of drywall behind it. (5/8 fire ******ent). E.g. onto concrete basement wall - panel then drywall then plywood to wall.
Thanks
No,I build a 2x4 frame,insulate it and cover with plywood then bolt the panel to that. No need to add drywall,that was law a few years ago but not any more.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Good question. I'd go by what the manufacturer of the panel says.

About 5 years ago when I had an electrician change out my house panel from fuses to breakers, the inspector wanted the panel to have drywall behind it.
Having said that, I have also seen lots of new construction where they mount directly on plywood.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.