Electrician Talk banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Journeyman Inside Wireman
37 Posts
I would def finish out the apprenticeship with that guy since it sounds like you have been doing well and don't have that much longer (I personally made the mistake of leaving companies too soon in my apprenticeship). I am not sure what your area is like, however having a bit of commercial experience could help get into industrial as well. Things like bending pipe and getting comfortable working with metal vs wood could make an employer feel better to call you in for an interview. In my experience industrial is usually limited to a couple guys so it may be easier to get the feel of larger tasks with more guys around who could help out. (We have more commercial opportunities than industrial here)

·
Registered
Journeyman Inside Wireman
37 Posts
I agree with the above if you know you can push through and finish with him that is what I would recommend. Leaving an employer often times is all in the approach. It may be nice to leave on the best terms possible in case you decide you wanna go back to resi, or the future employer winds up not being any better.

·
Registered
Apprentice
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I definitely plan to leave on good terms, The guy is a great boss he put me through school and treats me great. At the end of the day I just want to learn more and experience other types of electrical work. Instead of roping homes and doing renovation work all day every day

·
Registered
442A -Industrial Electrician's ticket since '93
402 Posts
As a holder of the 442A Ontario license, let me put my 2 cents in (that's 1.34 cents american) ... to get into a factory/industrial environment, you have two options. One, you can be a direct hire into a facility. Your youth and relative inexperience will count against you but it's not impossible. The second, and perhaps better, route for you is tto catch on with an electrical contractor who specializes in more industrial/commercial applications.
The absolute most important thing to do is get your 309A first. If your school marks were relatively high (90%+), note that on your resume. Good luck with your search....

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Plus as I said…residential and industrial are very different.Like I said though I’ll bet you can hang receptacles and wire a room in your sleep. None of that is remotely useful in industrial.
Exactly! When I was in 4th year school, I was talking with a guy in our motor lab, and he asked me how many houses I'd wired. I said none. "How do you know anything?" he asked. I asked him how many gas plants he'd built. He said none. I said "How do you know anything? Every gas plant I've been on has a service, lights, plugs and switches." He was thinking about my answer and still pressing and asked what the largest motor I've worked on was. I said "That's not a fair question. We see two different aspects of this trade. What was the biggest motor you've worked on?". He replied with 10 hp. I said " You see, we change them fairly regularly. The largest I've worked on was a 25,000 hp electric compressor".
There are so many different aspects of this trade, it is tough to be knowledable on them all. The basic theory is there, but the size and complexity varies a lot. Could I wire a house? Sure, after reading the changes I those Code sections. Would I make you money on it in labour? Not even remotely close. I'd be too busy cutting conduit into 16" lengths (lol)..

·
Registered
Apprentice
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I’m young I’m not expecting to land a plant job tomorrow or even next year. I had a interview with a company today. I accepted the job offer I’ll learn commercial and industrial. They don’t do a lot of it put it’s something to start. At the end of the day I just want a change of scenery.

·
Big nosed attic troll
10,711 Posts
I’m young I’m not expecting to land a plant job tomorrow or even next year. I had a interview with a company today. I accepted the job offer I’ll learn commercial and industrial. They don’t do a lot of it put it’s something to start. At the end of the day I just want a change of scenery.
its a great gig to land

21 - 35 of 35 Posts