Electrician Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I was interested in knowing how residential work is right now in the Los Angeles area? I will be a future state certified electrician and want to know which position (residential, industrial, etc.)is best in our recovering economy.

·
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,416 Posts
Hello, I was interested in knowing how residential work is right now in the Los Angeles area? I will be a future state certified electrician and want to know which position (residential, industrial, etc.)is best in our recovering economy.
Go with the maintenance electrician type work for an industrial plant the work is more steady than new construction.

but if you want to hone your residential skills hook up with your local Habitat for Humanity..
learn framing, HVAC, electrical, plumbing ,it's a win-win situation.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
577 Posts
To make money in residential you have to get out of the handyman mode. Charge a fair price and do only good work. There is money in service work, but lots of cheap competition, a tough business. The plan is to eventually get hooked up with a group of general contractors, and based on your performance you end up being their electrician of choice. Smoke detectors, ceiling fans, and hanging fixtures will not make you a lot of money but can get you in the door for more work.

There is plenty of work in this town but a big problem is there are so many willing to work cheap and the owners who want cheap, the idea is to avoid those jobs. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.