Electrician Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm based in Maryland and we had unusual cold air last week, as a result there were thousands of frozen water pipes in homes that broke. We were called by a restoration contractor to help on these re-builds. I could use any advice on this type of work as we are new to it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2 jobs in particular. We built 3 temp power stands (100 amp panel with 4-8 quads). Would it be better to break the cost of building those to a flat rate over time for providing temp distribution? Or just do it as T&M? It just doesn't seem fair to bill 2 jobs for the cost of building these when I'm sure we will use them on jobs for years. But if insurance companies will pay the T&M bill now then I can keep up with payroll and supplier bills now. I just don't want the devestated home owners to get screwed somehow, and I don't want to sticker shock the new contact (restoration contractor) if they have to foot the bill.

·
Estwing magic
27,575 Posts
2 jobs in particular. We built 3 temp power stands (100 amp panel with 4-8 quads). Would it be better to break the cost of building those to a flat rate over time for providing temp distribution? Or just do it as T&M? It just doesn't seem fair to bill 2 jobs for the cost of building these when I'm sure we will use them on jobs for years. But if insurance companies will pay the T&M bill now then I can keep up with payroll and supplier bills now. I just don't want the devestated home owners to get screwed somehow, and I don't want to sticker shock the new contact (restoration contractor) if they have to foot the bill.
If the insurance companies are paying the bill then the homeowners aren't getting screwed. And I would never lose sleep hosing an insurance company.

If the temporary power stands are something you will use later, you still need to attach some value to them in relation to these jobs. Maybe work out what you feel is a fair percentage.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
This is very similar to providing power distro's for entertainment production. A typical per-diem rental fee is 1% of the cost of the gear. In your case, however, if you won't be using these stands regularly, the % should be higher. Don't forget storage costs, as they don't disappear between jobs.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I'm based in Maryland and we had unusual cold air last week, as a result there were thousands of frozen water pipes in homes that broke. We were called by a restoration contractor to help on these re-builds. I could use any advice on this type of work as we are new to it.
Be sure to read the NEMA guide on water damaged equipment

·
Slave to the grind
623 Posts
We do a lot of restoration work. Here are a few things we have ran into.

* The jobs are usually poorly managed. They will call you and tell you they are ready for you, when they aren't. They'll call on Monday and expect you to be there Tuesday.

* Expect to make several trips to each job. If you think the rough will take (2) days, figure (3). Same with the finish. There are always a few fixtures they are missing or, you'll have to go back and hook up something that wasn't there when you were.

* On fire and water damage jobs, if it isn't a total re-wire, and you plan on reusing any of the existing circuits, get a good megger (if you don't have one) and get good at using it.

* Have some temp poles built and ready to go. A lot of times, there will be damage to the service and they will need power to start getting stuff dried out.

* Did I mention, they are usually poorly managed?

Resto work can be a good money-maker, you just have to price accordingly for the work.

·
Slave to the grind
623 Posts
Something else to consider...if you have to give a quote for repairs. Be very detailed as far as what is included in the bid and, what is not.

Quite often, when someone has a claim, they see it as their golden opportunity to have all the things they never had, but always wanted.

A lot of homeowners will want ceiling fans and receps added for flat screens, under-cabinet lighting, recessed lighting, etc....stuff they didn't have to begin with and, things their policy may or, may not cover. Make sure you and the resto company are on the same page from the start, as far as what is included and, who is paying for what.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.