Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to become a Restricted Master Electrician in Alberta, and what a restricted Master entails?

I have found restricted referenced to in the Qualifications section of "becoming a Master Electrician" on the Safety Codes Council website, but have been unable to find how to actually become a Restricted Master Electrician.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

·
Banned
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
32,719 Posts
How about filling out your profile?

·
Super Moderator
Pres., GPS Timers
6,759 Posts
I sure can't speak for anything north, but here in Florida we have limited electrical contracting licenses for things such as limited energy (aka low volt), electrical signs, lighting maintenance, etc. We call them ES (Electrical Specialty) licenses.

Look for whatever legislation defines the license types and you should be able to find more information there. Another resource may be the application if you can get ahold of that.

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
Does anyone know how to become a Restricted Master Electrician in Alberta, and what a restricted Master entails?
Go big or go home. Why would you want that? They probably don't have that anymore.

Some stuff here (section 5)... 2009 tho (Current Dec 12/18)??
www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Regs/2009_295.pdf

^^
Restricted master electrician, rural wireman — grandfathering

5(1) The Administrator may renew a restricted master electrician certificate of competency or a rural wireman certificate of competency originally issued or renewed under the Certification and Permit Regulation (AR 168/2002).

(2) In the case of a restricted master electrician certificate, the holder of the certificate may obtain a permit with respect to electrical installations of not more than 300 volts between conductors with an ampacity of not more than 200 amperes.

(3) In the case of a rural wireman certificate, the Administratorshall state the areas of Alberta where the rural wireman is permitted to perform electrical work, but the Administrator may adjust these areas at any time.

(3.1) The term of a certificate renewed under this section is one year from the date of the renewal unless the Administrator specifies a longer term.

(4) The term of the certificate of competency is

(a) one year from the date of issue, or

(b) for a period of not less than one year as specified by theAdministrator.

AR 295/2009 s5;39/2012

·
Registered
7,054 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the input, I do agree with you all, I want my masters, however I am still 2 years from being able to attain my masters. Although I started as an apprentice 7 years ago I only finished schooling last year.
Finding (local) electrical work here to count towards my required 3 years is nearly impossible, so I was trying to find some loophole that would allow me to work for myself, and be able to stay in town.
Looks like I will just have to keep travelling out of town for a 9-5 for the next few years, unless the economy changes here sooner.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
The 3 yrs as a journeyman is not recorded anywhere? You just need to have your time in, even binge watching TV will count as far as I know. Then again what do I know.

Tim.

·
Light Bender
plumber
6,323 Posts
The 3 yrs as a journeyman is not recorded anywhere? You just need to have your time in, even binge watching TV will count as far as I know. Then again what do I know.

Tim.
Not sure about alberta, but in Ontario you need to prove 3 years of work as an electrician, not just having a licence for 3 years. I would assume it’s the same.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I just don't recall having to show anything but that was close to 30 yrs ago so who the hell remembers.

Tim.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes it does seem to be nearly identical to the BC system where FSR A is equivalent to Masters, B and C are both equivalent to Restricted Masters. I did even read somewhere that there were 2 classes or restricted one being limited to 750V and the other 200A, although I cannot remember the source. (I have gone through tonnes of websites)

Unfortunately for me the best I can tell so far is that it is from a discontinued system in Alberta, prior to Safety Codes Council taking it over.

·
Estwing magic
25,445 Posts
Yes it does seem to be nearly identical to the BC system where FSR A is equivalent to Masters, B and C are both equivalent to Restricted Masters. I did even read somewhere that there were 2 classes or restricted one being limited to 750V and the other 200A, although I cannot remember the source. (I have gone through tonnes of websites)

Unfortunately for me the best I can tell so far is that it is from a discontinued system in Alberta, prior to Safety Codes Council taking it over.
Good. We don’t need no watered down Master’s license!

·
:-)
3,670 Posts

·
Banned
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
32,719 Posts
What happens when a guy moves in from someplace else where he was a fully licensed contractor and didn't work for somebody else for 3 years anytime lately?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts