Electrician Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Homer to Jebus
Electron Flow Consultant
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Resume or CV? Better question, does anyone even read them?

Seems every job posting I'm coming across requires a CV instead of a resume... Must be a east coast thing. :001_huh:

Suggestions or examples would be nice. :thumbsup:

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Resume or CV? Better question, does anyone even read them?

Seems every job posting I'm coming across requires a CV instead of a resume... Must be a east coast thing. :001_huh:

Suggestions or examples would be nice. :thumbsup:
what is a CV?:blink:

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,421 Posts
I wish that people would send a video resume. I've heard of some people doing that, and I like the idea. But, then again, the way most of us look, maybe that's a bad idea.:eek::laughing::laughing:

I read the resumes we get, but we don't get that many.

Reactions: CADPoint

·
I like ceiling fans & EMT
Former commercial, occasional (small) residential
1,523 Posts
My wife, who has been HR/recruiting/hiring manager for a variety of companies over the years, says she has NEVER encountered CV's in real life. There is a difference according to her, but her explanation went over my head.

·
Registered
144 Posts
A Curriculum Vitae, is a detailed list education and teaching experience, with details of classes taken and taught. It also lists any honors etc. typically they are a minimum of several several pages long, or longer. They are typically used in the US only in educational settings.

A Résumé lists educational attainment, i.e. BSCE 1992 from...., licensure, work experience and major accomplishments. They are concise, and typically no more than three pages long.

Any personnel person asking for a CV in the trades, is either an idiot or a pompous ash hat.

·
Data Tech/Apprentice.
9,013 Posts
A Curriculum Vitae, is a detailed list education and teaching experience, with details of classes taken and taught. It also lists any honors etc. typically they are a minimum of several several pages long, or longer. They are typically used in the US only in educational settings.

A Résumé lists educational attainment, i.e. BSCE 1992 from...., licensure, work experience and major accomplishments. They are concise, and typically no more than three pages long.

Any personnel person asking for a CV in the trades, is either an idiot or a pompous ash hat.
Not around here theyre not, the names are used interchangebly and I believe the OP should treat his instance as such.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I have only seen the term CV in educational settings. Exactly as described above.
Have never seen it used in the trades or general business settings.

I was in the biotech industry for 25 years. Its common for professors and PhD's who are often from other countries. I believe its more common outside of the US too.

Sounds pompous to me too outside of that setting. We get lots of resumes but never CVs... Once in a blue moon from a non American applicant.

Maybe the person posting the ad is from somewhere else or maybe they think it sounds cool....

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
CV or resume?- if you hope for an interview you have to stroke the folks doing the hiring. Many times your resume/CV will only get about 15 sec. worth of attention before hitting the circular file, so they better contain some key words.

They are the only vehicle for getting your message across to a potential employer, other than the application.

And, the application doesn't have much free space for someone without degrees.
Professional resume/CV writers fall in the same category and insist on no more than 2 or 3 pages, to describe decades of relevant experience.

I've landed some good jobs by writing my own, even when their help was free.

Someone, on ET, may know of a resume/CV writer that caters to the electrical trade for non-degreed and military trained folks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.