Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,543 Posts
draw out the control ckt in one state, and connect the power leads.

do this for every state.

if you really understand the circuit, the connections will then be obvious.

·
Registered
7,054 Posts
Is this a school assignment and if so what other info do you have?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe this will help you. Single phase starts on page 8.

http://www.goevans.com/filesSite/EHB_pgs0803.pdf
That tells me how to wire the motor for CW or CWW direction, and I know how to do that. I'm trying to figure out the equivalent drawing of this

but with six leads.

Is this a school assignment and if so what other info do you have?
It's for a job. I'm working on an outdoor lift. Two limit switches at the bottom of the lift, two limit switches at the top of the lift. It's been modified, so the original pushbutton controls on the lift aren't being used anymore. It's now controlled by remote control transmitter/receiver under the panel box. (this one) That controls a couple 8 pin relays, which control the forward and reverse contactors.

·
Registered
7,054 Posts
Your profile says "Electrical Construction and Maintanance student". Call an electrician.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your profile says "Electrical Construction and Maintanance student". Call an electrician.
I graduated, but there's always more learning to do.

I'm working with a contractor who doesn't know much about motor control, and he asked me to look at it since I studied that in school. What's making this difficult was the lack of schematic. I've wired up 3 phase motors with reverse control before, but this is somewhat different.

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
14,528 Posts
I graduated, but there's always more learning to do.

I'm working with a contractor who doesn't know much about motor control, and he asked me to look at it since I studied that in school. What's making this difficult was the lack of schematic. I've wired up 3 phase motors with reverse control before, but this is somewhat different.
Im not sure what your asking. You have the diagram posted.
If things are different in the field you need to draw it out using the basic diagram provided..

I would guess that the cube relays were substituted for the push buttons.
It's hard for anyone not standing there to explain what we can't see. Field conditions are always different.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Im not sure what your asking. You have the diagram posted.
If things are different in the field you need to draw it out using the basic diagram provided..

I would guess that the cube relays were substituted for the push buttons.
It's hard for anyone not standing there to explain what we can't see. Field conditions are always different.
Yes, you are correct about the relays. I already have control circuit fixed and working. I didn't originally add that information in my post because it wasn't necessary, but the person wanted more details. I could press the buttons on the remote control, and the contractors behave exactly how I want them.

Now, I just need to get the actual motor moving again. What I just need help with his hooking up the power circuit. I need to correctly hook up the motor leads to the two contactors. When the forward contactor's coil energizes, I want the motor to spin one way. When the Reverse contactor's coil energizes, I want the motor to reverse.

I'm looking for the equivalent power circuit to this, but with a six lead motor.

·
Registered
7,054 Posts
Are you replacing the motor? If so, how could you tell it was bad? Are F1 & F2 control fuses or running motor overload fuses (instead of heaters)? BTW look through your books for a start/stop/forward/rev station wired into this motor type.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Does your motor have a thermal cutout? this will require some more thought look at the diagram you posted and tell me what will happen if that motor fails to start as in something jams or is to heavy. Looks to me like the start winding will fry.

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
8,820 Posts
Yes, you are correct about the relays. I already have control circuit fixed and working. I didn't originally add that information in my post because it wasn't necessary, but the person wanted more details. I could press the buttons on the remote control, and the contractors behave exactly how I want them.

Now, I just need to get the actual motor moving again. What I just need help with his hooking up the power circuit. I need to correctly hook up the motor leads to the two contactors. When the forward contactor's coil energizes, I want the motor to spin one way. When the Reverse contactor's coil energizes, I want the motor to reverse.

I'm looking for the equivalent power circuit to this, but with a six lead motor.

Your motor has six leads because there is a high and low speed.
If you want 2 speeds, you will need a separate switch/control.

If not, just jumper the windings for the desired speed

·
Registered
7,054 Posts
Your motor has six leads because there is a high and low speed.
If you want 2 speeds, you will need a separate switch/control.

If not, just jumper the windings for the desired speed
I believe you are mistaken. The motor the OP actually is using is wired for 240v and is a single speed motor (120/240). See original post link. The picture you show is out of his textbook from school.

Reactions: John Valdes

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
14,528 Posts
welcome.

google works lol
LoL, I know. But I got busy today and didn't try.
Wife found a big tick on the pup. So she put me on bush chopping detail in the back yard.
The good news is that I've seen more lighting bugs this year then In the past 10.
I'm hoping my milkweed garden gives me lots of butterfly's.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.