Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My motor is labeled as "non-reversible" so I can't just "swap red and black wires" to reverse it as a reversible motor does. Instead I have removed the end cap and opened the cloth wrapping to expose the crimps that connect the insulated wires (T1-T6) with the lacquer coated wires of the main and starter windings. Please be patient if the links below appear as raw text. Apparently I am not yet allowed to use embedded links.

My motor can be represented by this diagram.
1.bp.blogspot.com/-Md7-3RZ5GgM/UvSzgRJAQrI/AAAAAAAAAv4/xNVcdDNXimc/s1600/Capacitor+Motors+9A+copy.jpg

Actually the starter winding is divided in 2 halves as shown in this modified diagram.
drive.google.com/open?id=1V-rx3Fj_nfcdiJqw6h2gB19i9kJFXKpb

I tried to reverse it by flipping the connections to the starter windings as shown in this diagram.

drive.google.com/open?id=11-Hb-5O8Zr7GJKGcL-EYt_2iK_-lwEG9

But it still turns the same direction. What am I doing wrong and how should I make the connections to reverse the the direction of rotation?

·
Chief Flunky
1,589 Posts
https://naemotors.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Single-Phase1.pdf

That’s assuming the internal markings are correct and that you are dealing with some form of capacitor start-run motor. Shaded pole, etc., require different approaches.

You should just swap 5 and 8. If you can identify the start windings the other way to look at it is reverse the current on the start windings. Once a motor is started the run side just keeps it going.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
If the stator is centered in the housing, have you tried putting the rotor in the opposite direction, flipping it end for end? The term JB will be in a non standard location but that is a easy work around, usually.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the stator is centered in the housing, have you tried putting the rotor in the opposite direction, flipping it end for end? The term JB will be in a non standard location but that is a easy work around, usually.
Does this chart apply to non-reversible motors? If it was this easy I'm pretty sure they would mark the motor as reversible. There are no "T" markings on any of the cables. All I can tell you is that the main winding is between Blue and White and the starter winding is between orange and yellow. If you look at my diagram, I believe I did reverse the current on the starter winding but that didn't work. It still spins the same direction.

·
Chief Flunky
1,589 Posts
Does this chart apply to non-reversible motors? If it was this easy I'm pretty sure they would mark the motor as reversible. There are no "T" markings on any of the cables. All I can tell you is that the main winding is between Blue and White and the starter winding is between orange and yellow. If you look at my diagram, I believe I did reverse the current on the starter winding but that didn't work. It still spins the same direction.

Then it’s not a type you can reverse.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I should have mentioned that I am running this motor connected with a belt (1:1 ratio) to another ac motor that turns in the correct direction at the same speed. In this case I wonder if I could just disconnect the starter coil and rely on the other motor to get it turning the correct direction.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
What chart? If the windings are centered in the stator housing put the rotor in the wrong way with the end bells on the opposite sides. The motor will spin the same way electrically, but the shaft will now turn the way you want. The caveat is the terminal JB is now on the wrong side.

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
You certainly make a valid point. The problem is, I've never been very good at believing people when they tell me something is impossible. I've proved too many of them wrong.

It's not that it is "impossible", things like this are always "possible", but it is not PRACTICAL.

To reverse a single phase motor that was not designed to be reversed means opening it up at a component level, getting into the interior wiring of the components, adding connection points that don't already exist to devices not intended to have them added, then trying to stuff all the new wiring and alterations back into the connection box that was NOT designed to accommodate all of that. So yes, you could probably do all of that if you have the proper skill set and put zero value on your time, but it is likely FAR less expensive to just replace the cheap little motor with one that IS designed to allow reversing.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

·
Electron Pathway Engineer
3,003 Posts
They have proved one thing is impossible- they don't read instructions and agreements that they sign up with like FILLING OUT THEIR USER PROFILE LIKE THEY AGREED TO IN THE USER SIGN UP AGREEMENT.

Maybe they will comprehend it now that it's in an easier to read font? Doubt it- common sense is so rare it's considered a super power these day.....:surprise:

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
They have proved one thing is impossible- they don't read instructions and agreements that they sign up with like FILLING OUT THEIR USER PROFILE LIKE THEY AGREED TO IN THE USER SIGN UP AGREEMENT.

Maybe they will comprehend it now that it's in an easier to read font? Doubt it- common sense is so rare it's considered a super power these day.....:surprise:
Nobody pays attention to this so why even bother, the admin obviously doesn’t care.

·
Electrical Contractor
Owner
4,212 Posts

·
Bilge Rat
7,015 Posts
I should have mentioned that I am running this motor connected with a belt (1:1 ratio) to another ac motor that turns in the correct direction at the same speed. In this case I wonder if I could just disconnect the starter coil and rely on the other motor to get it turning the correct direction.
Single phase motors are bi-directional, meaning they can run in either direction but they need to know what direction to turn from a standstill.

This is usually accomplished by the phase relationship between the start and run windings. This is also why the start winding is disengaged at some point before reaching full speed.

The other way to make it run is to turn the shaft in the intended direction then energize the run winding. In this case, it will continue to run in that direction.

As long as it's turning fast enough to disengage the start winding, you'll be fine by spinning it up then energizing it.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Single phase motors are bi-directional, meaning they can run in either direction but they need to know what direction to turn from a standstill.

This is usually accomplished by the phase relationship between the start and run windings. This is also why the start winding is disengaged at some point before reaching full speed.

The other way to make it run is to turn the shaft in the intended direction then energize the run winding. In this case, it will continue to run in that direction.

As long as it's turning fast enough to disengage the start winding, you'll be fine by spinning it up then energizing it.
I'm curious as to the why now, I could see having a 1 phase used as a pony motor to start a 3 phase for a RPC, but why this arrangement? The only other possibilities I can come up with are some kind of induction generator or some kind of doubled up unit to make a larger HP unit using two smaller motors coupled together.
Somehow I doubt the OP will be back to explain his intentions to us to get better suggestions to what his end goals are.

·
Bilge Rat
7,015 Posts
I'm curious as to the why now, I could see having a 1 phase used as a pony motor to start a 3 phase for a RPC, but why this arrangement? The only other possibilities I can come up with are some kind of induction generator or some kind of doubled up unit to make a larger HP unit using two smaller motors coupled together.
Somehow I doubt the OP will be back to explain his intentions to us to get better suggestions to what his end goals are.
I also got the idea it was 2 motors coupled together to make more HP.

·
Sparks fly from my finger
2,530 Posts
If you google reversing non reversible motors it is all people wanting to put them on wood working equipment.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts