Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Estwing magic
27,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a completely developed home with no three way switch at the bottom of the stairs. The only options I have are to rip apart drywall or drill through an 8" concrete wall. Or maybe one of those battery powered RF switches. Are they any good?

·
Registered
Electrician
4,444 Posts
Have a completely developed home with no three way switch at the bottom of the stairs. The only options I have are to rip apart drywall or drill through an 8" concrete wall. Or maybe one of those battery powered RF switches. Are they any good?
I think the Lutron Pico would work with this, but I think you would need to change the hardwired switch to a Lutron that is compatible with the Pico.

Also, heard this works well but haven't tried it myself.

http://www.lightningswitch.com/

·
Gold Member
312 Posts
I have put in two of these in the last 6 months, for similar reasons. I haven't heard back, so I'm assuming they are still working.... I did a little research first and found that they tend to last 2-3 years before failure(from those that reported in of course, probably no one whose unit remains working bothers to write about it on the interwebs!).

The main unit can be a tight fit, but I got them in.

Leviton 'anywhere-switch'. I think it was 6696-W. (Don't forget to buy aaa batteries, or you will look like that homeowner who bought 15 light fixtures, but no lamps) :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
X10 has the propensity to act funny. I tend to stay away from it unless customer already has it in place. The anywhere switch by leviton sticks out of the wall by almost an inch. Peeling off the on/off sticker that comes glued to the face of it requires wd40 or the like. Lutron's answer never misses. The remote can be mounted next to any existing switch or on its own. Add plate and no one even knows it's not hardwired.

·
Estwing magic
27,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Put in the Lutron. Home Creepo sells the combo pack with switch and remote for sixty bucks. Plate screws to the wall and then remote attaches with sticky tape (seriously, sticky tape?).

Works well. Customer happy. Me happy. Easy job.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Lutron makes a little adapter that the remote slides onto so that it can be mounted to a standard box, or a data box. I usually cut one the other in for the remote. Seems better than the sticky tape. I use these a lot for under cabinet lighting in existing kitchens. have also used them a few times to switch on shed lights from inside a house. Range on them seems to be pretty good, seems to work well!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.