Electrician Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my fiance (who is a auto cad drafter) are planning on moving to oregon next year. In RI it is too expensive to live and even though we are both making decent money, we cant afford to buy a house here. we've done our research and have visited oregon on vacation, and we both make more money and the cost of living is less. so that said, does anyone have some advice on relocating and changing state licenses or anything?
thanks
matt

·
Registered
285 Posts
Me and my fiance (who is a auto cad drafter) are planning on moving to oregon next year. In RI it is too expensive to live and even though we are both making decent money, we cant afford to buy a house here. we've done our research and have visited oregon on vacation, and we both make more money and the cost of living is less. so that said, does anyone have some advice on relocating and changing state licenses or anything?
thanks
matt
Check out this web site. It might help until you find someone from there.

http://licenseinfo.oregon.gov/

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
thanks
matt

Oregon isn't RI, buy a firearm for home protection and get a good dog.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I just moved to Oregon and like it very much. Do you know what area you are moving to? Do you have a job lined up?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm planning on moving next may. that gives me a year to save up enough to move and get an apartment right off the bat and some money to live off of till we get on our feet. we're looking into the portland area because we figure thats where the most jobs are, but anywhere nice that we can find work will do.
so where did you move from before you moved to oregon? how would you say the availability of work is? here it sucks.
matt

·
Registered
9 Posts
i lived in pdx for two decades,
you might look into living in vancouver wa.
it is just across the columbia from pdx.
no state income tax in wa. although sales tax
oregon has income tax, although no sales tax.
west pdx is better, especially in winter, not so much east
wind coming down the gorge.
still rent has increased quite a bit in the last ten years.
the freeways in pdx have had little upgrading in forty years,
congestion sucks.
good luck

·
Electrician
76 Posts
I live in Arizona. When you move way out west you have to get use to the spurs a jingle jangling. Other than that it’s a great life. Good luck

·
Registered
35 Posts
Lived in OR for most of my 29 years. PDX now. Though we may be cheaper than RI, things are getting expensive. Fast. All those desirability ratings are making people wanna move here. Anyway, OR has a lot of different climates and lifestyles to offer. Look into Bend and Southern OR for a different flavor.

Also nice to see some OR peeps on the board. I was wondering if you existed.

J

1 - 8 of 8 Posts