Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I'm a starting out electrician it's more of a hobby than anything but I am on the path to becoming one because I've always been fascinated with the hands on work. I recently helped a friend change out all their BR-30 lights from incandescent over to LEDs. However all the bulbs kept going out so I finally decide to check out some of the electricity's characteristics. It's measuring at 280 volts when we all know it should be around 120. My question is how do you think something like this happened?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think your buddy might be stealing electricity. You should call the poco. Might even get a citation.
Hahahah well they receive an electric bill every month so I don't think that's it. I've seen the bills. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Man...whoever did the installation dumped too many buckets of volts into those fixtures.

You may have to get an air compressor and blast some out until you get down to 120.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
OK I'm a starting out electrician it's more of a hobby than anything but I am on the path to becoming one because I've always been fascinated with the hands on work. I recently helped a friend change out all their BR-30 lights from incandescent over to LEDs. However all the bulbs kept going out so I finally decide to check out some of the electricity's characteristics. It's measuring at 280 volts when we all know it should be around 120. My question is how do you think something like this happened?
What kind of establishment is this?

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
ridiculous. and fascinating. fascinating and ridiculous.

·
Registered
108 Posts
There's an electron dial on the back side of the panel, turn that down a few notches.

Or, the neutral got lost and there's no afci. Ish.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
i don't belive you can get 280 out of a 240 system.it may be 240 is the norm. you may wanna get a licensed electrican to help out.:thumbup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i don't belive you can get 280 out of a 240 system.it may be 240 is the norm. you may wanna get a licensed electrican to help out.:thumbup:
It's a farm. I did have a master electrician who is a friend and that I am studying under also take measurements. He also got up to 280 volts on his meter. I don't think it's my meter because I used a Fluke CNX V3000 right out of the box and he used a Fluke 114. Thanks for the jokes they are pretty funny. :thumbup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Probably a couple of things happening here. Line to line load instead of line to neutral and a problem with the utility supply
Yeah that's my thought but there's something more on top of that for that kind of voltage. Either way someone is going to have to go through and rewire the entire installation.

At least you're taking them well. Some people lost their sense of humor on their first pull of 12-2
Well they are funny. I can't blame people for losing their sense of humor; that's still a pain.

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,479 Posts
Your meter must have new batteries in it.
After you use it awhile the voltage will read normal.
It's the "Additive" permeability of the transformer that does it.

Don't let these other guys fool you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Your meter must have new batteries in it.
After you use it awhile the voltage will read normal.
It's the "Additive" permeability of the transformer that does it.

Don't let these other guys fool you.
Of course! Why didn't I think of that! :laughing:

·
Homer to Jebus
790 Posts
Cletis... :laughing:

Ibtl.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts