Electrician Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever dealt with misthreaded couplings right out of the box? Such a bastard. They thread on effortlessly but jack the conduit all up which is very bad on the larger stuff.

Maybe this is common knowledge to some but for what it's worth- if you got a real bitch of a piece to spin on up in the ceiling of a big building, check the threads in your couplings against a tap or something before putting it together. I just fought a piece of 3" grc for an hour and thought I won.

·
Banned
1,486 Posts
Anyone ever dealt with misthreaded couplings right out of the box? Such a bastard. They thread on effortlessly but jack the conduit all up which is very bad on the larger stuff.

Maybe this is common knowledge to some but for what it's worth- if you got a real bitch of a piece to spin on up in the ceiling of a big building, check the threads in your couplings against a tap or something before putting it together. I just fought a piece of 3" grc for an hour and thought I won.

Naw ya lost . I would check the threads on the RMC first , or who threaded it . I never have had bad RMC couplings .

Pete

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's possible. But the threads on the pipe are fine. I don't even know how someone could screw up on an automatic threader. I was talking to a fitter and he said they get bad couplings for their galvanized and black rigid pipe all the time. First for me

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
We received bad fittings from OZ gedney years ago. They threaded on fine but were not strait. It was a pain. Had a bunch of runs look like **** because of it. Had the rep there and changed out our stock with all new fittings. Finally sent them all back and traded for Appleton. That solved the problem.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
It hapoens occasionally. I although always use a wire brush first to clean the threads at that always does the trick, making the coupling able to spin on effortlessly.

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
We received bad fittings from OZ gedney years ago. They threaded on fine but were not strait. It was a pain. Had a bunch of runs look like **** because of it....
I've had that happen with conduit bodies before. I'm trying to figure out why the hell I can't thread square pipe into a T fitting and it's because the T itself isn't square.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
We had some from France. Put a kick at every joint. It was indoors so we just had to rotate it so it was crooked up.

·
ANY MONKEY CAN RUN!
1,769 Posts
It's possible. But the threads on the pipe are fine. I don't even know how someone could screw up on an automatic threader. I was talking to a fitter and he said they get bad couplings for their galvanized and black rigid pipe all the time. First for me
Well its easy automatic or not you set the die size to tight you going to screw it up that's one problem check your die teeth worn down broken teeth you using the wrong die hope its not a plumbers or fitters die .Also a helper not using oil or threading it to far . Theres your common list

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
I've had that happen with conduit bodies before. I'm trying to figure out why the hell I can't thread square pipe into a T fitting and it's because the T itself isn't square.
I had a 2" Form 7 TB the other day that kicked my pipe way out of plumb.:censored: It's the luck of the draw, if you run rigid regularly you just have to know some couplings and conduit bodies will be like that.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cow said:
I had a 2" Form 7 TB the other day that kicked my pipe way out of plumb.:censored: It's the luck of the draw, if you run rigid regularly you just have to know some couplings and conduit bodies will be like that.
I agree with you. I almost always check my threads but have never given much thought to checking couplings. I'm not going to inspect every coupling I pull out of the box but if I got a real bitch of a piece to spin on you can bet your ass I'll be checking them out.

·
Registered
14,470 Posts
I really hate getting a box of bad PVC couplings. You can always tell cause there will be a lot of cursing then a box of couplings comes flying out the trench :laughing:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts