Electrician Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A customer of mine had squirrels tear up some NM cables in his attic. I suggested a thorough inspection be done (visual) by coming back and clearing insulation to see all cables and also perform a cable insulation test. Anything I'm missing?

I'm also wondering if the megger would read a cable like the one pictured as being good if nothing is close enough to arc or jump/read across. .

·
Data Tech/Apprentice.
9,013 Posts
We had romex in our barn that was completely stripped and only shorted once they were picked up off the joists. It was a good 300mm of bare copper.

·
Mad as Hell Member
2,935 Posts
Had a similar job when a couple rodents got into the attic at an animal farm.

Insulation contractor came in, emptied all the insulation from the attic and we went to work. Replaced any damaged NMD and sleeved the rest.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
We had romex in our barn that was completely stripped and only shorted once they were picked up off the joists. It was a good 300mm of bare copper.
I've seen wire like that which would megger fine but was very dangerous if it was missed on a visual inspection, and the mouse/rodent landed on the energized wire.

Somehow the rodents gnaw energized romex all the time but very few are killed.

I've had some pictures of squirrels and gnawed romex at a state fair exhibit and one ole gal chewed my butt for giving them a bad rap:laughing:

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
A meggar may be enough to find the bad cables if they are laying in damp insulation or something like that......something that can create a conductive path. Otherwise,its just going to be lots of visual inspecting.

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
I'm surprised with all the technology out there that cable manufacturers haven't found a way to put a repellent on the outter jacket, like the insecticide in the spray foam cans.

No kidding. I've worked in plants where they bought it by the gallon and all their cables were covered in it.

Seemed to work, but god help you if you accidentally rub your eyes after handling all those cables.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
No kidding. I've worked in plants where they bought it by the gallon and all their cables were covered in it.

Seemed to work, but god help you if you accidentally rub your eyes after handling all those cables.
I actually thought of painting the bottom of my trailer with that to keep the mice out. Maybe I'm not so crazy after all. :rolleyes:

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.