Electrician Talk banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,592 Posts
I like this setup, flexible, durable, affordable.

and these stackable type bins
While the boxes have good potential the small wheels on the cart would be useless on a muddy jobsite.

Reactions: Jhellwig

·
2 + 2 ≠ 5
180 Posts
While more than $100 for a Veto is fine by me to spend that for a molded piece of plastic isn't my thing.
By coincidence $100 happens to be my limit, and, with the help of some Amazon gift cards, three Tough System boxes are now within reach. However I'll hold out until the week before Father's Day in case the prices drop again, and maybe come Christmas time, rationalize buying the DeWalt hand truck if it's heavily discounted.

Postscript to the review: After scandalizing myself by browsing through Pelican case models, I was reminded that TS boxes come with air pressure relief valves in the event that the seals become too effective, while the Ridgid Pro does not.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,592 Posts
It wasn't too long ago. I poked fun at you about the Skil drill bits or something.
I digress, I don't really consider the Milwaukee box a toolbox but I will give you that one

·
Conservitum Americum
8,797 Posts

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
You can't lock up the crate with the locking bar though. I forgot that feature in describing my factors in my decision.

While we are talking here, the Milwaukee box is an absolute abortion.

But you can sit on it while you work!
I see a guy coming on site with that thing I'm sending him home.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,592 Posts
But you can sit on it while you work!
I see a guy coming on site with that thing I'm sending him home.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Now if it is a good height for trimming out it could be a good thing.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,592 Posts
While we are talking here, the Milwaukee box is an absolute abortion.

It is all in the eye of the beholder, I think it looks more professional than an empty sheetrock bucket to carry your tools in and appears to be a better seat.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,592 Posts
I looks nice inside. The top seems to hold pipe for cutting also.
I like the way that looks inside, I could make that work for something, as long as it isn't too overpriced. Would be nice for a pouch, impact, and a few extras.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Maybe I'm just too Scottish (frugal) but I always did just fine with plastic milk crates and a real handtruck and a couple bungee cords.
Haha, as much as I like the look of a couple of these systems, I've found an organization system that already works for me, so that gave me an idea.

Weld up 3 shelves out of steel angle, so the contents stay in the shelf. Bottom shelf for 2 milk crates, or one crate and tool bucket. Middle shelf sized for some abs totes I have, 2 wide, 2 high. These would act like drawers. Top shelf would be sized to fit my fatmax deep pro organizer, and would be able to lock more on top in the future.

Also planning a couple hooks on the front of the top shelf for a ladder, hooks on the back to hang a small bucket or 2, and a 3 or 4" abs for hauling fish rods, couple sticks of pvc, etc.

The shelves would either be removable or foldable. The truck would store on the roof on top of my big ladder, and get strapped down.

Ideas?

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,592 Posts
Haha, as much as I like the look of a couple of these systems, I've found an organization system that already works for me, so that gave me an idea.

Weld up 3 shelves out of steel angle, so the contents stay in the shelf. Bottom shelf for 2 milk crates, or one crate and tool bucket. Middle shelf sized for some abs totes I have, 2 wide, 2 high. These would act like drawers. Top shelf would be sized to fit my fatmax deep pro organizer, and would be able to lock more on top in the future.

Also planning a couple hooks on the front of the top shelf for a ladder, hooks on the back to hang a small bucket or 2, and a 3 or 4" abs for hauling fish rods, couple sticks of pvc, etc.

The shelves would either be removable or foldable. The truck would store on the roof on top of my big ladder, and get strapped down.

Ideas?
Customizing your tool system is rewarding and if it's cost effective all the better.

·
Conservitum Americum
8,797 Posts

Ideas?
Use aluminuminuminum.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Use aluminuminuminum.
Great idea, would be nice to save the weight, though, our aluminum welder is quite finicky, and doesn't do a great job, so a bit thinner steel, bent in a break is what I ended up using.

Its come along nicely, given that it's now in usable form, and has been for a week. Just now hitting it with a grinder to clean it up some, then paint, and a bit of reinforcement will be coming in the next while (as motivation comes), haha.

I have pictures, just need to find time to get to a computer to post em.

·
Conservitum Americum
8,797 Posts
I am waiting with baited breath.

Or is that bated breath?

21 - 40 of 64 Posts