Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was hired to add TWO (2) receptacles in a kitchen remodel. The residence is in Bolingbrook (Chicagoland area) and was built in the 70's. Romex wiring was allowed during this time.
When they opened the walls in the kitchen, all wiring was Romex. We then installed 2 counter-top receptacles, using romex and ensured proper GFCI wiring. Upon rough inspection, the inspector advised the GC that all wiring needs to be updated and in EMT raceway. The inspector continued the walk through to the basement where the GC is also conducting work, although, I am not, and stated that all open walls in the basement need to be updated to EMT as well. Now in my experience, if the whole residence is Romex, Romex does not have to be replaced from open walls. Furthermore, if patch work, like adding additional receptacles, is conducted, Romex can be used in the Romex system.

The inspector mad a smart :censored: comment saying, "Your electrical contractor should know, it doesn't matter which way HE interprets the code"

Has anybody been made to remove existing romex in a romex residence where the system is working fine, but the walls are open?

Maybe I should know? I don't work with Romex too much unless I get sucked into a stupid small job like this.

Thank you!

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
So I was hired to add TWO (2) receptacles in a kitchen remodel. The residence is in Bolingbrook (Chicagoland area) and was built in the 70's. Romex wiring was allowed during this time.
Are you sure it was allowed at that time?
.... Furthermore, if patch work, like adding additional receptacles, is conducted, Romex can be used in the Romex system. ...
Their code deletes Article 334 and I don't see any provision to use NM for changing or adding to an existing NM system.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Sure, you can get emt into a wood stud wall. Just notch the crap out of it reducing it to 1/2 it's strength. Then make the framing inspector mad.
It is not that difficult to install EMT in wood studs without notching the stud and you don't need to use couplings every couple of feet to install the EMT. This type of work is done every day in the Chicago area. Chicago and most of the suburbs around Chicago do not permit NM cable. In fact over 1/2 of the population of the State of Illinois live in areas that do not permit NM.

I live in an area that does permit NM for dwelling units as long as there are 4 or less units in a building and the building is a maximum of two stories. One of my first jobs as an apprentice was working on a wood framed apartment complex and it was all EMT. Sure there are some tricks to running the EMT without notching the studs, but it is not hard work.

·
Registered
826 Posts
don_resqcapt19 said:
It is not that difficult to install EMT in wood studs without notching the stud and you don't need to use couplings every couple of feet to install the EMT. This type of work is done every day in the Chicago area. Chicago and most of the suburbs around Chicago do not permit NM cable. In fact over 1/2 of the population of the State of Illinois live in areas that do not permit NM.
How messed up is residential wiring down south? You have guys running Romex and plastic effing boxes to no Romex at all?
What is the reasoning behind not using Romex? Is this just an Illinois thing?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don is correct, I rarely deal with Romex working in the Chicago suburbs. We run EMT in most residences. Maybe it's the Chicago union machine that made this standard and everyone hopped on the band wagon. My company has a general standard of running 600-800 feet of EMT a day for new construction. Anything less than that you're "slow." Obviously I would prefer to run Romex. EMT is great for old construction instances, though. Anyways, I am going to question the inspector. I think he was having a bad day. My goal was to have some firing power when I speak to him. Of course the city website has now downloadable code books specific to Bolingbrook. Thanks for all your replies!

·
Registered
152 Posts
How messed up is residential wiring down south? You have guys running Romex and plastic effing boxes to no Romex at all?
What is the reasoning behind not using Romex? Is this just an Illinois thing?
I'll admit that I've never understood the need for EMT in a single family dwelling. Over 2 stories multifamily - sure. Thousands of houses are built with simple Romex installed with nary an incident. They'll stand for a hundred years or more. In the past with that awful rubber insulated/cloth NM or K&T type I could see the need for changing out conductors after a long time. But Romex is so much better now than ever. Protection? Half a day of nailing up stud plates can easily beat the cost of piping with the same protection.

But then again, read my first sentence.....:blink:

Is it for rodents?

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Probably was a steel mill in Chicago that produced the pipe and fittings for electrical.. the owner of the company was buddies with the politicians of the day and they all worked it out at some party while drunk on absinthe. It was pushed into law and has never come out as things never seem to come out.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Probably was a steel mill in Chicago that produced the pipe and fittings for electrical.. the owner of the company was buddies with the politicians of the day and they all worked it out at some party while drunk on absinthe. It was pushed into law and has never come out as things never seem to come out.
I like this explanation.

But piping a house would cut down on the number of DIY types and handymen that don't know the trade.

·
I like ceiling fans & EMT
Former commercial, occasional (small) residential
1,642 Posts
Basically . . . I was told it was the corrupt Chicago politicians in conjunction with the steel industry.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've done a search on this EMT in houses thing and the electricians who do it keep mentioning the "tricks" to get it done efficiently. But none are specific examples. Will any of you experienced in this care to enlighten me with examples of these tricks? I've never done it in a house, but I'm curious.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.