Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've somewhat recently moved from the west to the east coast. Everyone here uses the plastic snap in connectors. I despise these things. Im used to 4040s, and no wholesaler here even has them. I get blank stares and fisher price connectors.. Ill have a box of L16s then.

The first electrician I ever apprenticed under swore by the 2 screw/lockring type of connector despite being more expensive. Ive done mostly commercial and industrial the past 8 years so I like the metal parts. Bias maybe. Is this plastic stuff the norm? What do you guys use?

·
Electrical Contractor
Trying to retire or at least slow down a bit, but life not cooperating
5,078 Posts
4040s

in a pinch, L16s but they are not approved for loomex.

Those grey plastic pieces of **** can stay in the box.
The Arlington black ones work very well in some very limited instances,

Reactions: ohm it hertz

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
3,018 Posts
Not a plastic fan either. Removed lots, what a pain.

·
Registered
Residential Electrician
98 Posts
I like the two screw connectors for breaker boxes because you can adjust the cable in and out. I like the plastic ones for pancake boxes and feeding a new circuit into an existing panel because it’s lower profile and quicker. I like the 2 screw type for boxes that I’m running two cables through the same hole and plastic if it’s just one cable in the hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
I like the two screw connectors for breaker boxes because you can adjust the cable in and out. I like the plastic ones for pancake boxes and feeding a new circuit into an existing panel because it’s lower profile and quicker. I like the 2 screw type for boxes that I’m running two cables through the same hole and plastic if it’s just one cable in the hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think the 2 screw type are only listed for 1 nm cable. Arlington’s black push in plastic is listed for multiple cables.

·
Electrical Contractor
5,078 Posts
Reactions: emtnut

·
Registered
Residential Electrician
98 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've somewhat recently moved from the west to the east coast. Everyone here uses the plastic snap in connectors. I despise these things. Im used to 4040s, and no wholesaler here even has them. I get blank stares and fisher price connectors.. Ill have a box of L16s then.

The first electrician I ever apprenticed under swore by the 2 screw/lockring type of connector despite being more expensive. Ive done mostly commercial and industrial the past 8 years so I like the metal parts. Bias maybe. Is this plastic stuff the norm? What do you guys use?
Are you talking about connectors like wago? I've used them and like them.

·
Registered
Master Electrician - Ontario
3,639 Posts
I learned / was trained using L-16s until they were not approved for use with NMD90. Then switched to plastic, first the old 3360 connectors then to the 4004's. Once they came out with the other L-16 option that was approved for NMD90 I never switched back. While I prefer metal, I find the 4040's are just junk and scream DIY for some reason (like metal box offsets) to me. I keep a good supply of 808s (2-screw metal) in various sizes, but generally stay with the 4004s.

Cheers
John

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
7,782 Posts
I learned / was trained using L-16s until they were not approved for use with NMD90. Then switched to plastic, first the old 3360 connectors then to the 4004's. Once they came out with the other L-16 option that was approved for NMD90 I never switched back. While I prefer metal, I find the 4040's are just junk and scream DIY for some reason (like metal box offsets) to me. I keep a good supply of 808s (2-screw metal) in various sizes, but generally stay with the 4004s.

Cheers
John
So @wcord was right !
I never really used much Loomex for years (Industrial). Thought the L16s were always NMD/AC

·
Electrical Contractor
5,078 Posts
So @wcord was right !
I never really used much Loomex for years (Industrial). Thought the L16s were always NMD/AC
Yep, you youngins don't know how much stuff has changed over the years lol

Reactions: Navyguy
1 - 20 of 25 Posts