Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This was a 50' run with 14' in 1 1/4" emt on the outside of the apartment to the new meters. #2cu wire. Attic really small to get in there and set a box, or convert to flex, so we went LB and nipple into the attic to a new sub-panel.

·
Registered
Electrician
4,476 Posts
I'd say if it runs outside the apartment, it's in a wet location.
It's actually considered a "damp" location. I'm talking about the NM being in conduit. Code considers the inside of conduit run outside a damp location. NM is not permitted in wet or damp locations.
That is the violation along with stripping the sheath because there are no markings on the conductors.
Although we all know what those conductors are!;)

·
Registered
575 Posts
So the only thing that makes this unsafe is that the wire is not marked ? If you don't know, you shouldn't be touching.
I agree with post #9, it's not an issue of "wet location" or "if you don't know" it's a code violation of 310.120(A) (2011) When the sheath is removed there are no markings on the individual conductors.

Reactions: dronai

·
Registered
914 Posts
It's actually considered a "damp" location
Location, Wet. Installations underground or in concrete
slabs or masonry in direct contact with the earth; in locations
subject to saturation with water or other liquids, such
as vehicle washing areas; and in unprotected locations exposed
to weather.
300.9 Raceways in Wet Locations Above Grade. Where
raceways are installed in wet locations abovegrade, the interior
of these raceways shall be considered to be a wet
location. Insulated conductors and cables installed in raceways
in wet locations abovegrade shall comply with
310.8(C).
:whistling2:

What are they?

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
It's actually considered a "damp" location. I'm talking about the NM being in conduit. Code considers the inside of conduit run outside a damp location. NM is not permitted in wet or damp locations.
That is the violation along with stripping the sheath because there are no markings on the conductors.
I believe the NEC considers the interior of an outdoor raceway, that is exposed to the weather, a wet location:

Location, Wet. Installations underground or in concrete slabs or masonry in direct contact with the earth; in locations subject to saturation with water or other liquids, such as vehicle washing areas; and in unprotected locations exposed to weather.

300.9 Raceways in Wet Locations Abovegrade. Where raceways are installed in wet locations abovegrade, the interior of these raceways shall be considered to be a wet location. Insulated conductors and cables installed in raceways in wet locations abovegrade shall comply with 310.10(C)

So, IMHO, two violations exist; stripping the jacket off of the NM and routing the conductors through a raceway exposed to the weather.

Do I think it's a grave hazard? No.

Could I approve it? No.

Pete

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
Type Thhn is all that is used here for building wire. Size is very common to those who work with this daily.
Most of the "THHN" I see anymore is dual rated as THHN/THWN-2. I can't think of the last time I saw straight THHN.

Pete

·
Registered
575 Posts
Type Thhn is all that is used here for building wire. Size is very common to those who work with this daily.
As Pete says, I don't think there is any straight THHN anymore. And even though we all know the conductors in NM are probably THHN/THWN the fact that they are not marked leaves us where we are. The truth is that it helps the manufacturers sell more wire this way. :mad:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.