Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have little experience using a root hammer or demo hammer for driving ground rods. I have always used fence post pounders and sledge hammers.
But, I don't have time for pounding and hurting my hands anymore.

What is the minimum ft/lbs and amps for a roto-hammer or demo-hammer, that you experienced electricians recommend for driving 8' ground rods.

I am looking at Bosch roto-hammer, 10 amps, 5.4 ft/lbs of driving force
Or, Harbor Freight Demo-hammer, 10 amps, 9 ft/lbs of driving force.

What models do you use?

Thanks guys.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
I have little experience using a root hammer or demo hammer for driving ground rods. I have always used fence post pounders and sledge hammers.

What is the minimum ft/lbs and amps for a roto-hammer or demo-hammer, that you experienced electricians recommend for driving 8' ground rods.

What models do you use?

Thanks guys.

http://www.grainger.com/product/3HY...3HY58&[email protected]@:20140116011904:s

·
Banned
15,674 Posts

What models do you use?

Thanks guys.
Just used a Bosch SDS max hammer drill model #11240 ($360 for hammer drill on Amazon, bit for driving ground rod $55) to drive a ground rod into the frozen ground. It Did a great job. Work smarter not harder.

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
Hilti has a great customer service and a great warranty plan. Like I said, it's expensive but you don't buy the same tool 4 times.
Why do you need a customer service plan or a warranty if you're buying a quality tool??? In my opinion, bigger is better!:thumbsup:
I've got the Bosch 11316EVS Demo hammer.
Bought it off a retiring electrician for $250 (bit included) It makes driving ground rods fun!
14 amps
4.4 - 18 ft. lbs.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just used a Bosch SDS max hammer drill model #11240 ($360 for hammer drill on Amazon, bit for driving ground rod $55) to drive a ground rod into the frozen ground. It Did a great job. Work smarter not harder.

Thanks. The Bosch 11240 is the one I am thinking of buying because its in my price range. But, is 5.2 ft-lbs (specs) powerful enough to drive rods through dense earth, clay, etc.

How many ground rods have you driven with this model?

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Why do you need a customer service plan or a warranty if you're buying a quality tool??? In my opinion, bigger is better!:thumbsup:
I've got the Bosch 11316EVS Demo hammer.
Bought it off a retiring electrician for $250 (bit included) It makes driving ground rods fun!
14 amps
4.4 - 18 ft. lbs.
Nice score..:thumbsup:

·
Estwing magic
27,536 Posts
Hilti has a great customer service and a great warranty plan. Like I said, it's expensive but you don't buy the same tool 4 times.
Are you using that drill 8 hours a day or does it sit in your truck most of the time? For what we do, the Bosch would last ten years. I don't need a Hilti that would last forty years.

·
Premium Member
20,088 Posts
I smash then in with a 10lb sledge hammer, it's usually only one or two at a time.
If I have 5 or 10 to do, I use a root hammer with a cup tip. The brand doesn't really matter to me. Some of the Hilti products are physically lighter so, depending on the material you are driving into, this could be good or bad.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.