Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this is a first for me. I have a customer that is building a small mom-in-law suite. It's a simple job for sure and I was asked to give a bid. He is a nice enough guy with a limited budget. So after I getting my bid he asked me to adjust it for doing the rough only and he would trim-out. What do you all think of this arrangement? If it wasn't such a simple job I would be concerned. I am thinking about doing it.

·
Who you gonna call?
1,177 Posts
Baker2605 said:
Well, this is a first for me. I have a customer that is building a small mom-in-law suite. It's a simple job for sure and I was asked to give a bid. He is a nice enough guy with a limited budget. So after I getting my bid he asked me to adjust it for doing the rough only and he would trim-out. What do you all think of this arrangement? If it wasn't such a simple job I would be concerned. I am thinking about doing it.
No. Not ever. I start, I finish. My name, my permit, my insurance, my livelihood, my problem. I pass inspection I want paid.

If it was so simple why does he need you at all?

·
Registered
428 Posts
This happens fairly often with people who do all of the framing and such themselves. It usually takes them 2 years to finish. What the do after the rough in is there problem. 8/10 customers call back because "something doesn't work" which turns into a service call to fix their mistakes.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Baker2605 said:
Are you pulling a permit? He can't get it signed off with just a rough in can he? You'd be on the line if he ****ed the final no?

·
Who you gonna call?
1,177 Posts
JPRO2 said:
This happens fairly often with people who do all of the framing and such themselves. It usually takes them 2 years to finish. What the do after the rough in is there problem. 8/10 customers call back because "something doesn't work" which turns into a service call to fix their mistakes.
You must never get permits.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Baker2605 said:
if he get the permit and you do the rough in at least you will have the peace of mind it was wired correctly.
And I'm sure he will be calling you for help with the trim out. Make sure you put in a 3way or something kills their confidence right away!

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
if he get the permit and you do the rough in at least you will have the peace of mind it was wired correctly.
And I'm sure he will be calling you for help with the trim out. Make sure you put in a 3way or something kills their confidence right away!
The rough is only half of the install. I don't think you can say "at least you will have the peace of mind it was wired correctly."

After the rough you have to terminate all the devices, fixtures, etc..

IMHO, the terminations are more important than getting the wire to where it goes.

Pete

Reactions: union347sparky

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's a good idea. I won't pull the permit he can pull a homeowner permit. I very skeptical of this deal. He is not the one saying it is a simple job I am.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Pete m. said:
The rough is only half of the install. I don't think you can say "at least you will have the peace of mind it was wired correctly." After the rough you have to terminate all the devices, fixtures, etc.. IMHO, the terminations are more important than getting the wire to where it goes. Pete
i don't disagree with you exactly, it's just that the really important connections will be done correctly and to code .
It's the only way a good electrician works .
Installing his own devices is better than him getting joe the handyman to do it , wouldn't you say?
He will be calling if you make it hard to figure out

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
i don't disagree with you exactly, it's just that the really important connections will be done correctly and to code .
Installing his own devices is better than him getting joe the handyman to do it , wouldn't you say?
You land circuits on breakers on rough?

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
The rough is only half of the install. After the rough you have to terminate all the devices, fixtures, etc..
Ive put panels in shopping centers for tenant build outs and left them for the tenants to finish.

I see no difference between that and a HO.

I get paid to get it close and they finish.

Would you agree Im not responsible after the Panel?

Im assuming you can do a rough and be contractually finished.

Reactions: dspiffy

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
Depends on the customer and how badly you need the work. If you're busy with steady clients and work I wouldn't waste my time. But if you're hungry and can make some money on this project I'd say go for it. It may be more of a pain in the ass than you anticipate but what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When I rough-in all wires are terminated in panel. All joints are made up and all devices are pig-tailed. That way my trim goes quick.

I think what I will do is adjust my bid and move all the costs to the rough-in. I will explain to him his savings will be very small by him doing the trim. That might change his mind and maybe he will see that I am trying to work with him.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Ive put panels in shopping centers for tenant build outs and left them for the tenants to finish.

I see no difference between that and a HO.

I get paid to get it close and they finish.

Would you agree Im not responsible after the Panel?

Im assuming you can do a rough and be contractually finished.
That could be true assuming you close out the permit after rough.

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
What connections are done on the rough that are more important than those done on the trim? Aren't they all equally important?

The problem being that the OP said the homeowner wanted to "play" electrician for the trim.

Actually, no I wouldn't. Where in the OP is it confirmed that the homeowner is a licensed electrician?

Possibly, but I guarantee he will be calling when his house burns to the ground from his piss poor terminations since you (meaning the OP) pulled the permits.

Pete

Reactions: electricmanscott
1 - 20 of 62 Posts