Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We roughed in a hot tub, steamer, double wall oven and spare to attic today. It looks hack doesn't it?

Attachments

·
Thumper
714 Posts
I liewk it.

Use more strapping/clamps on the drooping left side set, it's a pain when you're pulling an extra conductor in later and the whole raceway starts bouncing and swaying instead of letting your snake through.

It's not rated for exposure to UV so spray paint is recommended in areas receiving direct sunlight.

Love your pics as always. Must be cold there, or this is one of those gangsta style snatch and rope jobs.

·
Homer to Jebus
Electron Flow Consultant
860 Posts
Not hack if done right IMO, I've installed it in plenty of homes. Looks good. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
What is the benefit over running romex?
romex is usually solid core wire
while the conductors you usually run in conduit are multi-stranded and far more flexible
the biggest benefit is the same as with any conduit
replacing conductors is a simpler job than pulling staples and old romex down only to re-staple new up
and you have more flexibility in designing your circuit runs

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Over the 360 rule.
I ran them out with 360 degrees in mind, On one run I drilled angles thru the joist to avoid an extra 90. It takes some calculation to meet the 360 rule. I could have cheated another 90 in the basement by angling each run to the panel but didn't feel like chancing drilling into any wires.

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
I don't use it often but it came in handy the other day when the previous contractor installed it for some X-RAY machine wiring. Basically all it did was give me a raceway so I didn't have to drill and snake wires. We were all thankful to finish up early that day too.

·
Kind of a big deal here
924 Posts
I never touched the stuff for my first 13 years in the trade, old boss said it was for hacks and homeowners. He had us run EMT chases for new houses. That sucked. New company swears by the stuff. We buy it by the reel. I just put in over 1500ft of 1inch in two houses. From each panel to basement, basement to attic, attic back to panel, hood fan location to attic and basement, through crawl spaces, and kitchen island to basement. The high end TV guys we work with run it from each TV location back to their equipment, technology always changes.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
In the first pic, is the top chord drilled for the ENT?
Yep, I drill and hack them if needed, this house has been a nightmare. I had to holesaw thru two trilam beams reiforced with 1/2" thick steel just to get 3 circuits to the center area . The patience wears out especially when the GC keeps pushing the get it done, "we want to start insulating."

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.