Electrician Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a rule of thumb to determine amperage of an HVAC Roof Top Unit (RTU) when voltage, phase and tonage is known?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is for estimating purposes. I'm taking the information given to me from the HVAC drawings. At this time the nameplate is not available.

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,959 Posts
Otis221 said:
Is there a rule of thumb to determine amperage of an HVAC Roof Top Unit (RTU) when voltage, phase and tonage is known?
Without a type & model number you can't estimate amperage.
The best you could do is be on the same block as the unit but not close enough to be in the ball park.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes. There is no information given on the electrical drawings for the RTU's (no equipment schedule or panel schedules).

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
put a WAG in, and qualify it on your bid

·
Slave to the grind
623 Posts
An old timer told me once to figure 10A per ton but, I've found that it doesn't always work out.

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
If you know the size of the space and the building you are working with its possible to guestimate. But in all effort ask the customer, if your bidding Im sure 10 others are asking the same question.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I might add that most units today are more efficient, and that figure is closer to 1700 watts/ton.
I still use 2200 just to be covered..

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,848 Posts
Stand facing the prints, take all the 'rule of thumb' formulas you've been given and toss that crap out and request more info.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Stand facing the prints, take all the 'rule of thumb' formulas you've been given and toss that crap out and request more info.
When you get a written design narrative it usually gives you a list of RTU's..
It might say...provide power to 6-15 ton, 3-12 ton, 3-7 1/2 ton RTU's at 480V, 3ph.....

That's it...I thinks that's the kind of info the OP has received..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts