Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was working at house today for a GC,Gc tells me run power for disconnect out of ledger board under the deck and mount disconnect in between joist spaces on deck and but to top of ledger board and bottom of deck boards.I inform the gc that with the blocking that's installed that you you cant put it there you need to be able to open the Disconnect all the way not just 60 degrees . Gc says do what you can get as close as possible . GC leaves get to the point of drilling hole and Homeowner comes home says "what are you doing",I say "mounting A/C disconnect". He informs it was supposed to be thru ledger board and tight to bottom of deck . He storms off calls Gc and reams him anew one .I overhear him say I don't need guy's making 12k a year making decisions on my project without my say so .I heard that and just about threw my tools down and went and had a talk with MR H.O. . But kept my cool and after about 10 minutes of explaining the situation he understood why I had to do it. This guy is a white collar guy for sure,but I find the lack of respect for our trade kind of demeaning.Just had to vent sometimes douche bags get to me.

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
I was working at house today for a GC,Gc tells me run power for disconnect out of ledger board under the deck and mount disconnect in between joist spaces on deck and but to top of ledger board and bottom of deck boards.I inform the gc that with the blocking that's installed that you you cant put it there you need to be able to open the Disconnect all the way not just 60 degrees . Gc says do what you can get as close as possible . GC leaves get to the point of drilling hole and Homeowner comes home says "what are you doing",I say "mounting A/C disconnect". He informs it was supposed to be thru ledger board and tight to bottom of deck . He storms off calls Gc and reams him anew one .I overhear him say I don't need guy's making 12k a year making decisions on my project without my say so .I heard that and just about threw my tools down and went and had a talk with MR H.O. . But kept my cool and after about 10 minutes of explaining the situation he understood why I had to do it. This guy is a white collar guy for sure,but I find the lack of respect for our trade kind of demeaning.Just had to vent sometimes douche bags get to me.
Just who do you think you are making $12 k per year in a professional trade:laughing:

Kidding aside many people such as the HO you are dealing with, never held a man's job, they were pampered their whole lives all through college, paid for by mom and dad and most likely have a huge trust fund from them too, They are taught from the beginning to look down upon those who chose to earn an honest living and get their hands dirty.

I'll bet he has the soft hands of a woman with small UN-scard fingers too, so he feels you're no better than a toilet scrubber because he does not know what it takes to be a man, not all people with wealth are like that, those people do respect you and will pay well for professional work.

·
Freelance Member
1,370 Posts
Priced an exterior GFI assembly install for a landscaper. $225. Dude complained and bitched.

"You're treating me like a regular customer do you know how much easy work I can bring you. You're pricing yourself out of work, you should treat me like a business associate"

The outlet is to power a transformer for landscape lighting. He's unlicensed and doing the work. I said give me the entire job. Then you don't have to work or worry about doing unlicensed low voltage work. Plus you'll know the job is done to code. Just sell the job and I'll give you 10%.

He said he'll get back to me.

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
Priced an exterior GFI assembly install for a landscaper. $225. Dude complained and bitched.

"You're treating me like a regular customer do you know how much easy work I can bring you. You're pricing yourself out of work, you should treat me like a business associate"

The outlet is to power a transformer for landscape lighting. He's unlicensed and doing the work. I said give me the entire job. Then you don't have to work or worry about doing unlicensed low voltage work. Plus you'll know the job is done to code. Just sell the job and I'll give you 10%.

He said he'll get back to me.
Gotta love those guys too, what they are hoping is you do not know how to charge for the work and can use you for the whole day for short money :no:

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
Black Dog said:
Just who do you think you are making $12 k per year in a professional trade:laughing: Kidding aside many people such as the HO you are dealing with, never held a man's job, they were pampered their whole lives all through college, paid for by mom and dad and most likely have a huge trust fund from them too, They are taught from the beginning to look down upon those who chose to earn an honest living and get their hands dirty. I'll bet he has the soft hands of a woman with small UN-scard fingers too, so he feels you're no better than a toilet scrubber because he does not know what it takes to be a man, not all people with wealth are like that, those people do respect you and will pay well for professional work.
I love your rants about men's work and all the prissy boys out there. It's awesome. Seriously

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
but I find the lack of respect for our trade kind of demeaning.Just had to vent sometimes douche bags get to me.

Usually it is just because they don't understand.
Loosing your cool gains nothing except more problems.
Take your time and explain it to them in a way that they can clearly understand.
And all is usually fine after that.
Remember they probably look at it from a different angle than you.
You look at the long term safety aspects and code requirements.
Where's as he is probably looking at it from a pure cost issue or assetics values.

Different !
:thumbsup:

·
13,020 Posts
I don't care if a guy calls me names, insults my annual income or my genetic heritage, or tells me I'm a sh!t-eating, maggot infested sack of necrotic tissue and piss water.

Those are his insecurities, not mine.

Anyway if the situation really warranted it, I could just come back that night and lop off his service neutral.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
-Leave an upper Decker in the potty when the dude leaves!
-Instead of taking a pair of his old ladies undies, put a pair of yours in her drawer, with a thank you note!
- give his dog some laxitives before you leave!
- or just do your job and leave

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
erics37 said:
I don't care if a guy calls me names, insults my annual income or my genetic heritage, or tells me I'm a sh!t-eating, maggot infested sack of necrotic tissue and piss water. Those are his insecurities, not mine. Anyway if the situation really warranted it, I could just come back that night and lop off his service neutral.
"I've been called worse by better men than you"

·
Registered
707 Posts
Dude I have put blood, sweat, and tears into people's houses. Cutting in cans, fishing wire from basement to second floor, crazy fishing wires around and making no holes. Taking time to move people's valuables and cover with drop cloths because there to fricken lazy to do it. Spending an hour cleaning up, vacuuming, doing the best I can to not make a mess. And they still will complain about the little spec of insulation you left on the rug.

And the one thing I learned from residential wiring is that home owners don't give a chit how much hard work and effort you put into there house, the only thing they care about is how you left it when you left.

That's why I hope I never step foot into another resi job ever again. Hate em

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
Dude I have put blood, sweat, and tears into people's houses. Cutting in cans, fishing wire from basement to second floor, crazy fishing wires around and making no holes. Taking time to move people's valuables and cover with drop cloths because there to fricken lazy to do it. Spending an hour cleaning up, vacuuming, doing the best I can to not make a mess. And they still will complain about the little spec of insulation you left on the rug.

And the one thing I learned from residential wiring is that home owners don't give a chit how much hard work and effort you put into there house, the only thing they care about is that it's cleaner than it was before they left for a weekend in Wisconsin.

That's why I hope I never step foot into another resi job ever again. Hate em
FIFY:thumbsup:

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
I don't think it would've been out of line to say something to him. "Sir, I heard what you said on the phone. That wasn't acceptable. I'm sorry I made a mistake, but we're both professionals here and I expect this to be handled professionally."

That said, I also know when I'm pissed "Sir" tends to get replaced with "You f**king idiot" So if you're not sure what's gonna come out, you probably did the right thing by holding your tongue.

·
Estwing magic
27,537 Posts
After I got out of my old business and was sitting around doing nothing, I decided to go work for HD for a few months. That was an experience, mostly bad. One day, some jerk off came in with his wife and little kid and starting screaming and swearing at me and dropping f-bombs. Obviously, at HD you can't tell I customer to #### off. I just stared him down, didn't say a thing, and walked towards him. He walked backwards for a while and then the three of them turned around and ran out of the store.

·
Registered
742 Posts
99cents said:
After I got out of my old business and was sitting around doing nothing, I decided to go work for HD for a few months. That was an experience, mostly bad. One day, some jerk off came in with his wife and little kid and starting screaming and swearing at me and dropping f-bombs. Obviously, at HD you can't tell I customer to #### off. I just stared him down, didn't say a thing, and walked towards him. He walked backwards for a while and then the three of them turned around and ran out of the store.
Former customer?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I used to work for a well hated multi-billion dollar company. I had to deal with the public every day. Unfortunately, I also covered a very affluent area (or as I like to say, effluent). People used to talk down to me like I was lower than trash. Not just "use the servants entrance" type stuff, but actual verbal assaults. I had to stand there and take it. It was one of the main reasons I left.
I went back to work for myself. I decided early on that I would never put up with that kind of BS again. And I haven't. I won't do business with people who give me a bad vibe or appear to be off their nut. I've been around long enough that I can usually spot it right away.
The biggest red flag I hear is, "The last electrician didn't / wouldn't / couldn't...". I will stipulate that pretty much every electrician I've ever met is a weirdo :thumbsup:, but it's tough to chase a guy off a job in this economy. I figure if the customer has already done it once, it'll happen again. Pass.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.